Broken Spoke on New Wheel

You want to get strong? Hit the road, Jack... and don't you come back 'til you can finish a century!

Broken Spoke on New Wheel

Postby jobu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:30 pm

So I bought a new bike back in July, and going down a smooth hill today I had a spoke break right near the nipple. It happened right as I was starting to break.

The question I have is this, should I just have the spoke replaced, or should I ask to have the entire wheel replaced. I know that losing a spoke like that will cause a tremendous amount of pressure to be put on the other spokes, so I am worried about more spokes going on me over the next couple of months.

As an aside, the wheel will not spin at all without undoing the brakes.

Thanks in advance.
The mind is a terrible thing.
jobu
Rock Hopper

Re: Broken Spoke on New Wheel

Postby AirborneGuy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:42 pm

This happened to me, except my bike was sitting up against the car and the wind blew it over. Kinda scary that a spoke breaks with it just falling over, but I just had the spoke and nipple replaced and it's been fine.
AirborneGuy
Rock Hopper

Postby jobu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:25 pm

Well, I am going to get the spoke replaced. Wonder if I might be to heavy for them, I weigh in at 210lbs.

Hmm. Sometimes I love being a clyde, until I break a rear hub.
jobu
Rock Hopper

Postby mdsweeney4 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:10 pm

i'd start by getting the spoke replaced and having it trued and asking them to retension it as well, if you have another break soon depending on the quality of the wheel i'd start looking at either having it rebuilt or replaced, i'm ok fixing one, but if the tension gets thrown off enough to get a second one to break soon after you're more than likely going to start seeing a bunch more go. and it doesn't take too many spoke repairs and wheel trues to pay for what it costs to have a decent wheel builder rebuild the wheel with quality spokes and care. just my .02, the problem with spoke breaks is that there is not really a decent trail fix for them, when a spoke goes your day is likely over (not always the case but generally)
mdsweeney4
Rock Hopper

Postby tenbsmith » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:25 pm

I agree with the above. get the shop to replace the spoke and retension the wheel and see how it goes from there. I've had that sort of repair last a long time on a quality wheel build.

asking for a whole new wheel seems too much.

At your weight, you may benefit from hand built, or at least hand tensioned, wheels.
wind whistles in an empty ear
tenbsmith
Rock Hopper

Postby darbrednew » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 pm

You weigh 50 lbs less than me.
Brad
PRESIDENT - RAMBO/SORBA
http://www.rambo-mtb.org/

btw, is your SORBA/IMBA membership current?
Check out RAMBO on Facebook
darbrednew
Rock Hopper

Postby jobu » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for all the input. Going with the replacement spoke for the moment, and see how that goes.

darbrednew, I have stripped a single speed hub before, so I know I am rough on my parts. Road thing is new, again for me, and for my mountain bike, I have custom laced wheels. Best $700 I have ever spent. My goal in the spring is to fork over new wheels, and ride these into the dirt for the next couple of months.

Unless they break before that.
jobu
Rock Hopper

Postby hnat70 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:47 pm

Jobu, when I bought my road bike a couple years ago, I had a similar issue, on my rear wheel. Every time I would hit a bump, I would blow a spoke, the shop I bought it from kept replacing the spokes, a total of 3 times, on the 4th break, I demanded a whole new wheel, then that particular shop owner "not a Sorba sponsor" told me it was not the wheel, but the fact that i was to big. I then pointed out the fact that he himself told me the bike he sold me was one of there best selling bikes, and would be just fine for me. So reluctantly, he himself ended up upgrading my wheel, the one I got has been flawless thus far. Get it fixed, but if it blows out again, then you could have a bad wheel.
hnat70
Rock Hopper

Postby Mark D. » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:05 pm

AirborneGuy wrote:This happened to me, except my bike was sitting up against the car and the wind blew it over. Kinda scary that a spoke breaks with it just falling over, but I just had the spoke and nipple replaced and it's been fine.

Ive seen a road bike tire explode/pop while leaned up against a car once.Just finished a 75 mile road ride.Scared the bejesus out of everyone standing around.
"talk of politics and global warming makes my head hurt"-Mark D.
Mark D.
Rock Hopper

Postby iride » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:17 pm

holy run-on sentence...
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby zeomkean » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:44 am

What u look for when getting one. Don't wanna spend a ton, but wanna be able get one that I can get the right training out of. Next what are typical workouts? Spin for an hour? Set it real hard to simulate hils...looking for a simple weekly plan (3-4 one to one and a half hr training sessions) :D
ahsan
zeomkean
Training Wheel Tyke

Return to Road Riding