quick century question

You want to get strong? Hit the road, Jack... and don't you come back 'til you can finish a century!

quick century question

Postby dana » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:46 pm

I have been thinking about working up to a century. For the normal rider on a basicly flat route like the Silver comet, how often are you guys taking rest stops and how long are they? Just trying to get a idea of what i should be riding before a rest stop.
dana
Rock Hopper

Re: quick century question

Postby bikemap » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:16 pm

The important thing is to stop for only 5 to 10 minutes at a time. If you stop for longer, your body will begin to cool down and want to quit. Stop whenever you feel the need, get off the bike, stretch, and lay down for 5 minutes. Then get back on the bike and resume the same pace as before. Don't drink a lot a cold water while you are stopped; this tends to shut down the body as well. Drink while riding.
Short breaks with adequate stretching will keep you going for a long time.

Good Luck. Think positive. Keep pedaling.
bikemap
Rock Hopper

Postby u1ockjustice » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:07 pm

On the centuries I've done there have been 2-3 official rest stops, approximately evenly spaced along the route. These stops usually have water/gatorade/food (pbj, fruit, granola bars, cookies, etc) to help you re-fuel. You can hang out at the rest stops as long as you want, though i second the advice not to hang around for too long. of course you can always stop however often you want/need to on the route, there just won't be a bunch of people to serve you food.
u1ockjustice
Rock Hopper

Postby funchik » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:42 am

I have done a ton and your choice of one will affect how well you do/feel.
As a newb, you will want to look towards one with the appropriate terrain and SAG stops.
there are still a few out there.

Don't under estimate the beauty of good cycling wear and chamios butter. Success will be in the details.
I would try some group rides that have a bit of everything in there and moderate distance-35+.

And yes, do not stop for long- get in and out- or you will have a miserable time. did this on my first Century (Catersville) at mile 55 and didn't feel much better until 81, and then a saddle issue came up.

Be realistic about what you hope to accomplish, you know- is it to finish or get a sub-6?
Keep in mind the pace you have for a century will be different from your normal riding habits and this can take one or two to figure out what works best.

Oh yeah, one more thing:SUNSCREEN! :D
Believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean
G.K. Chester
funchik
Rock Hopper

Return to Road Riding