XT BL-M785 vs Juicy 3

That's what we're here for.

Re: XT BL-M785 vs Juicy 3

Postby psychobillycadillac » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:35 am

Give it time, they'll start backtalking to you soon enough. 3 things you can count on, death, taxes and Avid brakes squawlin' like sum'***. :evil:
psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Postby BrettMidGA » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 am

I have a set of Avid Elixir 5 and I like them. They are powerful but very loud and too easy to lock up. I have XT with ice tech rotors on the other bike and love them. Silent and better control...modulation?? Can't wait to replace the Elixir 5 with XT. SLX gets great reviews too.
BrettMidGA
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby FujNoob » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:36 pm

If you have a set of noisy Avid brakes try this.

Get a set of Jagwire Mountain Sport pads. (red ones in the picture)

http://jagwire.com/products/v/avid

Lightly sand and clean the rotors, replace the pads, and go through the Avid bed in procedure. I have Avid XO's, Elixir 5's and a set of Juicy 3's that are all quiet with no gobble at all since I started using these pads.

ymmv
FujNoob
Rock Hopper

Postby OffCamber » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:49 pm

This argument always make me laugh. I have 3 sets of Elixir R's on 3 different bikes since 2010 with G3 rotors and have never had any issues at all. The bleed procedure is a little tedious but I've only had to do it twice and I just watch the video while doing it. Sometimes I think the frame design is the issue. A friend of mine was having noise issue with his (Specialized 29er) and it sounded like the noise was reverberating through the frames rear triangle. We put on a larger (G3 instead of HS1) rotor and the problem was solved. Hope I'm not jinxing myself, posting this. :lol:
OffCamber
Rock Hopper

Postby GTscoob » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:11 pm

FujNoob wrote:Get a set of Jagwire Mountain Sport pads. (red ones in the picture)

http://jagwire.com/products/v/avid

Lightly sand and clean the rotors, replace the pads, and go through the Avid bed in procedure. I have Avid XO's, Elixir 5's and a set of Juicy 3's that are all quiet with no gobble at all since I started using these pads.

I wonder if the BB7 pads are the same compound as the other Avid brakes. EBC Gold pads were a marked upgrade in power, pad life, and noise over the stock Avid pads.
GTscoob
Rock Hopper

Postby ScottGreer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 pm

psychobillycadillac wrote:Give it time, they'll start backtalking to you soon enough. 3 things you can count on, death, taxes and Avid brakes squawlin' like sum'***. :evil:
Probably 1000+ miles on my Juicy 3s and they never squeezed either. :?:
ScottGreer
Dirt Dawg

Postby dgaddis1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:50 pm

OffCamber wrote:This argument always make me laugh. I have 3 sets of Elixir R's on 3 different bikes since 2010 with G3 rotors and have never had any issues at all. The bleed procedure is a little tedious but I've only had to do it twice and I just watch the video while doing it. Sometimes I think the frame design is the issue. A friend of mine was having noise issue with his (Specialized 29er) and it sounded like the noise was reverberating through the frames rear triangle. We put on a larger (G3 instead of HS1) rotor and the problem was solved. Hope I'm not jinxing myself, posting this. :lol:

Frame design is part of it I'm sure, but the Avids do have the reputation of being the worst of the bunch as far as noise is concerned, across all brands.

Giant's alloy XTC 29er had major issues with resonance in the frame from the brakes, people tried all sorts of stuff, and apparently, putting a lead fishing weight/sinker on the dropout changed the frequency enough to solve the issue for some people.
Singletracks.com - Bike the Net!
Southern Wheelworks - Custom wheels designed and built just for you.
dgaddis1
Rock Hopper

Previous

Return to Mountain Biking