Does anyone use this anymore???

That's what we're here for.

Re: Does anyone use this anymore???

Postby PoppiGoBike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:27 am

I would like to use it, but no one has recognized~accepted my first post. :?
PoppiGoBike
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby grog » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:42 pm

You should be good to go now - you're in purgatory until you have 3 approved posts. You now have 4 and should be able to post without the posts needing approval.

Welcome to the forum!
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby ScottGreer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:48 pm

Really wish this place hadn't died off. It's a real pain in the ass to try an keep up with the 19 different SORBA groups that have splintered off on Facebook. :roll:
ScottGreer
Stump Jumper

Postby grog » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 pm

ScottGreer wrote:Really wish this place hadn't died off. It's a real pain in the ass to try an keep up with the 19 different SORBA groups that have splintered off on Facebook. :roll:

This ... I know I've lamenting the loss of community we had here but more importantly, it was much easier to find out about trail systems outside your local area. If you lived in Canton but were thinking about riding Dauset, simply post in one place and you had an answer. Yes, I'm lazy but that was near ideal.

I'll take it a step farther ... I miss just as much the festivals we had. Yes, I know that there are still the single day things - Pedalpalooza comes to mind - and they're great. But the days of Nimblewill weekends, Helen Fat Tire Festival, Middle Georgia Festival ... get there Friday night, set up camp and go to Woody's for brats. Saturday do the level appropriate no-drop ride (or Woody's women's only ride that my wife still raves about) then feast on lunch and games. More rides in the afternoon with dinner then night rides or a movie. Sunday poker ride ... we only got to do a handful of those over a few years but they were a blast and where I met some great people.

Yeah, I know I'm that old geezer sitting on the porch of the general store saying "why I remember back in my day ..."
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby BobbyHiggins » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:30 am

I totally agree with Scott and Grog. This was a community and was ideal. I got away from riding for a couple years and now wonder what happened to the people I used to ride with.
BobbyHiggins
Rock Hopper

Postby psychobillycadillac » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:46 am

grog wrote:
ScottGreer wrote:Really wish this place hadn't died off. It's a real pain in the ass to try an keep up with the 19 different SORBA groups that have splintered off on Facebook. :roll:

This ... I know I've lamenting the loss of community we had here but more importantly, it was much easier to find out about trail systems outside your local area. If you lived in Canton but were thinking about riding Dauset, simply post in one place and you had an answer. Yes, I'm lazy but that was near ideal.

I'll take it a step farther ... I miss just as much the festivals we had. Yes, I know that there are still the single day things - Pedalpalooza comes to mind - and they're great. But the days of Nimblewill weekends, Helen Fat Tire Festival, Middle Georgia Festival ... get there Friday night, set up camp and go to Woody's for brats. Saturday do the level appropriate no-drop ride (or Woody's women's only ride that my wife still raves about) then feast on lunch and games. More rides in the afternoon with dinner then night rides or a movie. Sunday poker ride ... we only got to do a handful of those over a few years but they were a blast and where I met some great people.

Yeah, I know I'm that old geezer sitting on the porch of the general store saying "why I remember back in my day ..."

I think that the loss of community had a lot to do with me losing the desire to ride. I'm lucky now if I get out more than a half dozen times a year to ride these days. It used to be I'd get out that often in a week :shock:
psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:58 am

psychobillycadillac wrote:I think that the loss of community had a lot to do with me losing the desire to ride. I'm lucky now if I get out more than a half dozen times a year to ride these days. It used to be I'd get out that often in a week :shock:

I initially read this as "the community died because PBC stopped riding" ... after rereading - and actually comprehending - I realize you're saying that your desire to ride was impacted by the community we knew dying off. And while I hadn't thought of that before, you're absolutely right. I initially put it on life getting in the way but as I think about it, during some of the hardest times in my life, the SORBA community actually pulled me onto the bike via group rides, festivals, "races" (which were effectively festivals for me), etc. Just the near daily interaction with everyone on the forum - and knowing that if you went to the trail that evening, you were likely to see someone you were just talking to - was great.

It is what it is - I get that .... there's been a "changing of the guard" in the biking community. I'm grateful to have "grown" during the era that I did.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby BobbyHiggins » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:49 pm

psychobillycadillac wrote:
I think that the loss of community had a lot to do with me losing the desire to ride. I'm lucky now if I get out more than a half dozen times a year to ride these days. It used to be I'd get out that often in a week :shock:

I buy this. Reading about riding on this forum helped keep me interested in riding. Kinda like something Duckman told me once, "New bikes are a good thing. They keep you interested in riding".
BobbyHiggins
Rock Hopper

Postby RamX » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:35 pm

I prefer this type of form over facebook. Less Labor and more community
RamX
Rock Hopper

Postby msteng » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:17 pm

I hereby condemn Facebook to a place of unholy condemnation! Let Sorba.org come forth from it's slumber! LOL.
msteng
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby grog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I second the motion ... which is timely since I'm trying to work my way back into mtn. biking ... telling you, singlespeed is *NOT* the best way to get your fat a$$ back out there after being off for nearly 2 years!
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I second the motion ... which is timely since I'm trying to work my way back into mtn. biking ... telling you, singlespeed is *NOT* the best way to get your fat a$$ back out there after being off for nearly 2 years!
grog
Rock Hopper

Previous

Return to Mountain Biking