New To Atlanta Area

That's what we're here for.

New To Atlanta Area

Postby Dominic49 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:49 pm

Hello I am new to Atlanta. Just came from Houston. Love Mountain biking. Where are the trails at?
Dominic49
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby iridetitus » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:12 pm

in houston...
iridetitus

Postby clem » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:42 pm

iridetitus wrote:in houston...

Now now, where's that vaunted southern hospitality?
clem
Rock Hopper

Postby Dominic49 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:33 pm

ok ok i know... i had a mountain bike.. on some offroad trails.. not many hills but what we had we cherrished...
Dominic49
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby p0Kem@n » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:13 am

Pick up a copy of "Mountain Biking in Georgia" by Alex Nutt, and/or "Off The Beaten Track-Vol. III, North Georgia" by Jim Parham at a local bike shop, or at Barnes&Noble or Borders, etc.

Watch for rides here, and post when and where you want to go.

Check the "Trails" section and the "Rides" section of this Forum frequently, to see "what is, what was, and what will be". Most of the local bike shops can put you on to rides, and we are always posting new rides.

Always check the Home Page here, and the menu areas to the left.

Popular Greater Atlanta trails include Blankets Creek, Big Creek, Central Park, and for "riding off-road on a road" (converted railine)...the Silver Comet trail. Further from the city you have Chicopee Woods and Tumbling Creek near Gainesville, Ga., as well as the 1996 Olympic trail at the Ga. Internation Horse Park near Conyers, Ga.

Many more mountainous and challenging trails are found both north and south of Atlanta, when you can make a day of travel and riding.

Trail maps can be found under the trails section here: http://www.rambo-mtb.org/

Good riding! :)
The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go, the more likely you'll crash / JULIE FURTADO
If you ain't crashin, you ain't ridin / ANONYMOUS
p0Kem@n
Rock Hopper

Postby cyclesmith » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:02 am

Welcome, Dominic. Ignore iride, he's just being his usual smart@ss self. Right, chicken boy? hehehe.

The closest trail to you is Blankets Creek. Great trail system with beginner, intermediate and advanced loops. Close to ten miles total.

Here's more info and directions (as well as links to other trails):

http://sorbawoodstock.org/trails.html

You might also want to check out the trail review section at mtbr.com if you haven't already.
Don't fight the mountain.
cyclesmith
Rock Hopper

Postby robina » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:45 am

cyclesmith wrote: Welcome, Dominic. Ignore iride, he's just being his usual smart@ss self. Right, chicken boy? hehehe.

The closest trail to you is Blankets Creek. Great trail system with beginner, intermediate and advanced loops. Close to ten miles total.

Here's more info and directions (as well as links to other trails):

http://sorbawoodstock.org/trails.html

You might also want to check out the trail review section at mtbr.com if you haven't already.

If that slacker Robin would get off her butt, we might even have trail descriptions available here on the SORBA site, under, duh!, Trails. But you just never know with that girl.

The advice from others here is good. Get both books Pokemon suggested. They have overlap, of course, but each has unique entries, as well. I think Jim's book has Forest Service roads, for example, and Alex's does not. Forest Service roads are great when the singletrack is too wet to ride (like today). I suggest buying it from a local bike shop, as we try to always support our local shops. Buy your cookbooks from Border's, not your bike books.
robina
SORBA

Postby cyclesmith » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:59 am

robina wrote: Buy your cookbooks from Border's, not your bike books.

LOL!
Don't fight the mountain.
cyclesmith
Rock Hopper

Trails

Postby overthetop » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:59 am

Let me be the first to Invite you on a ride not sure what part of atlanta your from but if you dont mind the drive come out and join us monday and thursday nights at Fort Yargo State Park. See web site for more info
and directions to park http://www.yaba.homestead.com hope to see you their.
Steve Gordon(President Of Yargo Area Biking Assoication)
overthetop
Rock Hopper

Postby jcgrech » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:36 pm

Also check out the Trails section on http://www.mtbr.com for more information and directions to trails.
jcgrech
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby Dominic49 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:06 pm

I wold love the ride but my bike is in the shop... Got my rear derailer stuck in my spokes... the 15 dollar replacment piece should be here wednessday acording to cycleworks...
Dominic49
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby Eddie O » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:13 pm

The real mountains are up north. Bear Creek, Mountaintown, Tibbs ATV trail, Aska Trails (aka Rich Mountain, Stanley Gap, Flat Creek, Green Mountain), Pinhoti, Fort Mountain. OK, so I'm totally biased, but I love riding the remote mountain trails with great views....details for some are here:
http://www.cartecaybikes.com/rides/trails.htm
http://www.georgiapinhoti.org/index.shtml

If you have interest in the epic death march type rides let me know.

Eddie O
Eddie O
Rock Hopper

Postby Dominic49 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:11 am

How do I go about getting involved in group rides I would love to try out fort mountain... but would atleast need to find a riding partner... these sorba/rambo meetings do youhave to be a member to go... or can i try it out and see if its for me...
Dominic49
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby Eddie O » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:16 am

Watch for group rides posted here and then just show. Most of them tend to have a wide range of speed and ability, so you should be able to find someone to ride with.

I'm not sure about the meetings.

Eddie O
Eddie O
Rock Hopper

Re: New To Atlanta Area

Postby Dominic49 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:33 pm

wow. 8 years and 4 posts later. How time has gone!
Dominic49
Training Wheel Tyke

Next

Return to Mountain Biking