Mountaintown Crreek Trail has NOT been closed to bikes

That's what we're here for.

Mountaintown Crreek Trail has NOT been closed to bikes

Postby robina » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:47 pm

The official word from the Forest Service is that Mountaintown Trail has NOT been closed to bicycles. Nothing has changed at this time.
robina
SORBA

Re: Mountaintown Crreek Trail has NOT been closed to bikes

Postby Carebear » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:13 pm

Birdie's got the word! Thanks Robin!!! :cheers:
"Think.....think.....it ain't illegal yet!" - George Clinton
NorthstarBicycles.com
NinerBikes.com
ESIGrips.com
TifosiOptics.com
Carebear
Rock Hopper

Postby mtbGreg » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks, that's good to hear! Had heard elsewhere that it had been....
GregRidesTrails.com -- An Informational and Instructional Mountain Bike Blog.
mtbGreg
Dirt Dawg

Postby K2K » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:54 pm

Thank you Robin, that is the same info I got from the district Ranger's office.
Until this whole thing blows over, just stay away from me.
K2K
Rock Hopper

Postby wrxbiker » Wed May 04, 2011 8:34 pm

I thought that the trail had remained open, but that most people liked to cut over to bear at the end of it and crossed private property to do so, which was a problem with the landowner.

Is that not the case?
wrxbiker
Rock Hopper

Postby ScubaCruz » Thu May 05, 2011 8:27 am

wrxbiker wrote:I thought that the trail had remained open, but that most people liked to cut over to bear at the end of it and crossed private property to do so, which was a problem with the landowner.

Is that not the case?

No - people don't cut over to Bear. They ride the doubletrack out to a gravel road, turn left to ride down past a gate to the paved road.

Yes - the top of the doubletrack before the left is private property and the landowner is a whatever. Plus the gravel is also private to the homeowners that use it, since they pay to maintain it, not the county or the FS.

No - there is the Pinhoti Trail that connects Mountaintown to Bear Creek, but that section is still hikers only due to the route not being mountain bike sustainable. Possible future plans are 2 new trials from Bear Creek to Mountaintown - a trout fisherman trail and a rerouted Pinhoti that is built for mountain bike use.
ScubaCruz
Rock Hopper

Postby wrxbiker » Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 pm

ScubaCruz wrote:
wrxbiker wrote:I thought that the trail had remained open, but that most people liked to cut over to bear at the end of it and crossed private property to do so, which was a problem with the landowner.

Is that not the case?

No - people don't cut over to Bear. They ride the doubletrack out to a gravel road, turn left to ride down past a gate to the paved road.

Yes - the top of the doubletrack before the left is private property and the landowner is a whatever. Plus the gravel is also private to the homeowners that use it, since they pay to maintain it, not the county or the FS.

No - there is the Pinhoti Trail that connects Mountaintown to Bear Creek, but that section is still hikers only due to the route not being mountain bike sustainable. Possible future plans are 2 new trials from Bear Creek to Mountaintown - a trout fisherman trail and a rerouted Pinhoti that is built for mountain bike use.

Thx, I knew I was going to screw that up. Bottom line is that the trail is open, but don't ride on the whatever's property - Got it.
wrxbiker
Rock Hopper

Postby bigguy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Sorry, I am confused. Does that mean one has to ride Mountaintown as an out and back, or more accurately, from the top at the forest road where it starts as a down and back up....ugh? Or is there a legal way way to get over to Bear Creek or out to the paved roasd from the bottom?
bigguy
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby AllenM » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:09 pm

bigguy wrote:Sorry, I am confused. Does that mean one has to ride Mountaintown as an out and back, or more accurately, from the top at the forest road where it starts as a down and back up....ugh? Or is there a legal way way to get over to Bear Creek or out to the paved roasd from the bottom?

When you ride Mountaintown, there are two ways out. One is to walk the Pinhoti trail over to Bear creek. The other is to continue on the gravel road once the trail ends and take the gravel road down to Gates Chapel Rd. The gravel road is a private road, but when you exit the trail, it just dumps you out on this road. When you hit Gates Chapel Rd, there is a key carded gate to block public access to the road. Most people just ride the road and go around the gate at the bottom. So technically you are trespassing, but I don't remember seeing any signs stating it was a private road until I was already at the end.

On a separate note, I rode Mountaintown in January and there were a ton of trees down. Enough to make it not fun. The beginning of the decent was ok, but as the trail flattened out there were larger trees and more of them, so we were on/off the bike constantly.
AllenM
Rock Hopper

Postby mango » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Why has this thread been permanently listed at the top of the forum for a couple of YEARS now? Is it really more relevant than the other info in the forum?

Mango
mango
Hammer Head

Return to Mountain Biking