New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

That's what we're here for.

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby grog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:40 am

DrDanBatchelor wrote:Going to try them out today

Really not sure that's the best idea nor the best way to show the NPS that bikers can use common sense. From what I remember reading, NPS is implementing the same policies that the other local systems use regarding rain and trail status. So while, historically, Sope was the "go to" rainy day trail, that's no longer the case. Going with the "trail closed 24 hours after heavy rains" policy, they shouldn't be ridden today. As I've said before, "open trails" doesn't necessarily mean we should be out on them.

If you DO go out there today, treat it like you would Blankets - if it's peanut butter, don't ride it.

Hopefully someone from SORBA-A, SORBA-Main or the NPS can pipe in and give us the official policies
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby OffroadRatfish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 am

grog wrote:
DrDanBatchelor wrote:Going to try them out today

Really not sure that's the best idea nor the best way to show the NPS that bikers can use common sense. From what I remember reading, NPS is implementing the same policies that the other local systems use regarding rain and trail status. So while, historically, Sope was the "go to" rainy day trail, that's no longer the case. Going with the "trail closed 24 hours after heavy rains" policy, they shouldn't be ridden today. As I've said before, "open trails" doesn't necessarily mean we should be out on them.

If you DO go out there today, treat it like you would Blankets - if it's peanut butter, don't ride it.

Hopefully someone from SORBA-A, SORBA-Main or the NPS can pipe in and give us the official policies

Grog's right; please do NOT ride today--currently listed as closed.

Like other area trails, check Sorba-Atlanta's website prior to heading out there: http://www.sorbaatlanta.org/
Bicycle Lifestyle - One Less Car!
OffroadRatfish
Rock Hopper

Postby iconherder » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 am

It's hard to judge too because those trails don't shed water as nicely as Blanket's. What looks fine from the parking lot may turn into a mess pretty quickly.

From past experience I'd say riding at Sope today is a bad idea. Maybe tomorrow is ok if we don't get any more rain.
iconherder
Dirt Dawg

Postby OffroadRatfish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:14 am

Again...that's why there's a website to tell you whether it's open or closed, removing judgement (at least, on the part of each individual rider) from the equation.

PLEASE use it. Don't tell the NPS that we can't handle increased responsibility and that everything we told them to get these trails opened was just a line of BS.
Bicycle Lifestyle - One Less Car!
OffroadRatfish
Rock Hopper

Postby ScottGreer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:03 pm

A good friend lives ~3 miles from Sope. We pedaled there from his driveway.

Trails were SWEET! Only 3-4 soft spots to speak of and they were less than 5' long. Nothing to deter you from not riding. The loops are really fun and really cut down on the 2 way risks from before.

Nice work! :thumbup:
ScottGreer
Dirt Dawg

Postby iride » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:19 pm

ScottGreer wrote:Nothing to deter you from not riding.

as is often the case....
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby slowwrx » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:27 pm

If you plan on exceeding 10mph you might as well ride somewhere else. Park Rangers are out threatening people with tickets for exceeding the 10mph speed limit.

Its just so typical.
slowwrx
Dirt Dawg

Postby yellowzx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:00 am

I saw them before they saw me. I was on the two way section and I was told I was going the wrong way. It is a fun trail though, hope it stays that way.
yellowzx
Stump Jumper

Postby bikephan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:53 am

slowwrx wrote:If you plan on exceeding 10mph you might as well ride somewhere else. Park Rangers are out threatening people with tickets for exceeding the 10mph speed limit.

Its just so typical.

Are you serious? That is fing funny.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby ScottGreer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:58 am

bikephan wrote:
slowwrx wrote:If you plan on exceeding 10mph you might as well ride somewhere else. Park Rangers are out threatening people with tickets for exceeding the 10mph speed limit.

Its just so typical.

Are you serious? That is fing funny.

Yep. We got popped for the same thing.
ScottGreer
Dirt Dawg

Postby kpvsr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:03 am

Its just so typical.

Sooo, are they out there with radar or is it just personal opinion on the rangers part to decide how fast one is riding? Love it when our tax dollars are being put to such good use. :roll:

Things like this really make me appreciate my local trail and the fact we don't have to deal with regulations such as this.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby MrUnderhill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 am

just when you thought it was over, the sope creek saga just gets more ridiculous. with the amount of effort that has gone into that place it should be Whistler with Ray's bike park on top and the best mexican restaurant ever at the bottom. :roll:
when they kick in your front door
how you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
MrUnderhill
Rock Hopper

Postby slowwrx » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:11 am

Radar Guns?...... Don't be silly of course its just a matter of personal opinion.

First they stop you and ask you if you know the rules of the trail then you get a 5 minute lecture on the rules of the trail.

Then they tell you they will be ticketing.

For those that don't carry a speedometer on their bikes 10mph is nothing.....nothing. You would have to be on the brakes all the time.

This all really sucks especially considering Sope is out my back door.
slowwrx
Dirt Dawg

Postby grog » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:21 am

The 10 mph has always been there - at least as since I started riding in '99. I'm guessing that it's under more scrutiny now since there's a higher probability of user conflicts during the transition. Give it time - my gut says an equilibrium will be reached as the two groups get used to the new situation and it won't be an issue any longer.

Meanwhile, with the exception of one post, all I've seen here are complaints. For those that have made it out there, what're the positives? Hope to hit it tomorrow during lunch. I'm sure the NPS would like some positive feedback along with the negative they're already getting here.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby MrUnderhill » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:32 am

The WHITE ZONE is for loading and unloading only. . . if you
have to load or unload, go to the WHITE ZONE...
when they kick in your front door
how you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
MrUnderhill
Rock Hopper

PreviousNext

Return to Mountain Biking