New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

That's what we're here for.

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby joelfehrman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 am

Had my first ride on the new trails this evening shortly before sunset. So much fast, flowy fun! I've ridden the old trails countless times and this ride exceeded all my expectations. Thanks, thanks, and thanks again to Charles and the others who had the supreme patience and determination to get this done.

Here's a GPS trace for those curious. My calibration is a bit off because I was careful to keep it under 10mph the whole way :wink: - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/295879730

I got turned around shortly before the figure-8 junction as others have mentioned. I thought I was at the junction and needed to go right. The neighborhood was my cue to turn around. There is also one section of the current trail that still has a plastic sign with the slash-through bike symbol. Just a couple signs should clear up any confusion.

I encountered a few joggers who seemed to be less than pleased to have bikes on the new sections of trail. I was extra-courteous as I don't want to be the reason for any complaints about bikers, but I encountered two joggers who seemed pissed to see bikes on "their" trail. On both occasions I announced my presence early, came to a complete stop on the side of the trail, and said "have a good one" or something similar. As with anything if you're looking for bad you'll find it, and I'm sure there will be plenty of complaints, but I'm happy to hear that the Rangers are biking too so they can see what's really going on out there.
joelfehrman
Rock Hopper
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby MudRyder » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Are my tickets from the early 90's from sister park Vickery Creek forgiven at Sope Creek? I quit riding those 2 places after I was stickered/registered by the rangers and told 1 more rule breakage was going to result in my prized metal matrix stumpjumper being confiscated. They were using radar even back in the day. I pass it every day on my way home from work, but the fear that I may have to go Rambo to protect my mtb ownership has meant that I have stayed clear of the place. Enjoy.
User avatar
MudRyder
Training Wheel Tyke
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:01 am

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby TheHeckler » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Sope Creek is a National Park. Vickery is a state/City park. I think you're good to go. :mrgreen:
"Life's tough; tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

“The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people’s money.” - Margaret Thatcher
User avatar
TheHeckler
Rock Hopper
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: My own private Idaho

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby chet » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 pm

TheHeckler wrote:Sope Creek is a National Park. Vickery is a state/City park. I think you're good to go. :mrgreen:


Vickery Creek in Roswell is part of the National Park service, with some adjoining city property at the mill site, see the link to the map below:

http://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/Vickery%20Creek.pdf

They do not allow bikes in Vickery Creek any more but I know they did many years ago. I would be careful with those old tickets but I am not sure how to ask without opening a can of worms.

Good luck
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever"
User avatar
chet
Rock Hopper
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Roswell, GA

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby k2biker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:16 pm

TheHeckler wrote:Sope Creek is a National Park. Vickery is a state/City park. I think you're good to go. :mrgreen:


Not to bog down the fun, but specifically, Vickery Creek, Sope Creek, Gold Branch, et al are part of the Chattahoochee River National RECREATION Area. In terms of allowable activities, this is a significant distinction from a National PARK, Battlefield, Historic Site, etc. This is why we will not likely ever see mtn biking allowed at Kennesaw Mountain National BATTLEFIELD. The purpose of the battlefield sites is one of remembrance and honor -- despite what the majority of visitors actually DO at the venue. In terms of advocacy, these are very important distinctions.
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
33North Adventures |Owner
User avatar
k2biker
Rock Hopper
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby emoore7 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:06 pm

Had a chance to finally ride the new trails yesterday and they are a blast! I had almost quit riding there recently but will definitely have to put it back in my rotation. Thank you everyone who made it happen. I was also curious about the section by the creek at the rocky section that dumps out at the gravel loop there is a trail with no signage that crosses the creek. The trail goes over to those office buildings I think. Was that ever on the table to be opened to bikes? I've been back there walking my dog when the parking lot was at capacity and didn't see a soul. I always thought it was strange that an area that receives so little foot traffic relative to the other parts of Sope wouldn't be open to bikes.
User avatar
emoore7
Mountain Biker
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby k2biker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:51 pm

emoore7 wrote:Had a chance to finally ride the new trails yesterday and they are a blast! I had almost quit riding there recently but will definitely have to put it back in my rotation. Thank you everyone who made it happen. I was also curious about the section by the creek at the rocky section that dumps out at the gravel loop there is a trail with no signage that crosses the creek. The trail goes over to those office buildings I think. Was that ever on the table to be opened to bikes? I've been back there walking my dog when the parking lot was at capacity and didn't see a soul. I always thought it was strange that an area that receives so little foot traffic relative to the other parts of Sope wouldn't be open to bikes.


That trail in question actually goes off of NPS property and one of the regulars was ticketed on Sunday by NPS Rangers for accessing the Sope Creek system using that trail. The reason was cited as being the trail is not designated as a bike trail once it enters the NPS boundary.
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
33North Adventures |Owner
User avatar
k2biker
Rock Hopper
 
Posts: 1478
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby OffroadRatfish » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

k2biker wrote:
emoore7 wrote:Had a chance to finally ride the new trails yesterday and they are a blast! I had almost quit riding there recently but will definitely have to put it back in my rotation. Thank you everyone who made it happen. I was also curious about the section by the creek at the rocky section that dumps out at the gravel loop there is a trail with no signage that crosses the creek. The trail goes over to those office buildings I think. Was that ever on the table to be opened to bikes? I've been back there walking my dog when the parking lot was at capacity and didn't see a soul. I always thought it was strange that an area that receives so little foot traffic relative to the other parts of Sope wouldn't be open to bikes.


That trail in question actually goes off of NPS property and one of the regulars was ticketed on Sunday by NPS Rangers for accessing the Sope Creek system using that trail. The reason was cited as being the trail is not designated as a bike trail once it enters the NPS boundary.


So you're saying to carry my bike when I get within sight of the creek. Got it.
Bicycle Lifestyle - One Less Car!
User avatar
OffroadRatfish
Rock Hopper
 
Posts: 2579
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:00 pm
Location: Buckhead

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby slowwrx » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:10 pm

OffroadRatfish wrote:
k2biker wrote:
emoore7 wrote:Had a chance to finally ride the new trails yesterday and they are a blast! I had almost quit riding there recently but will definitely have to put it back in my rotation. Thank you everyone who made it happen. I was also curious about the section by the creek at the rocky section that dumps out at the gravel loop there is a trail with no signage that crosses the creek. The trail goes over to those office buildings I think. Was that ever on the table to be opened to bikes? I've been back there walking my dog when the parking lot was at capacity and didn't see a soul. I always thought it was strange that an area that receives so little foot traffic relative to the other parts of Sope wouldn't be open to bikes.


That trail in question actually goes off of NPS property and one of the regulars was ticketed on Sunday by NPS Rangers for accessing the Sope Creek system using that trail. The reason was cited as being the trail is not designated as a bike trail once it enters the NPS boundary.


So you're saying to carry my bike when I get within sight of the creek. Got it.


I can't remember how far back the signs are where you cross into NPS property but I don't think its far. Its not a designated trail period as far as I know so are they going to sit back there and write hikers tickets?
slowwrx
Dirt Dawg
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby atlemt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Weather permitting I'm going to try and check the new trails out on Friday. I haven't ridden there in 3 or 4 years. Hopefully I don't get lost.
atlemt
 

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby iconherder » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:39 am

Finally got a chance to ride the new trails yesterday. They really are a blast, it's such a big change from what it was a few months ago. I only saw a handful of trail runners the whole time and everyone was polite when I said, "hi."

I'm curious how the other direction is now.
iconherder
Dirt Dawg
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby cmags » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 am

iconherder wrote:Finally got a chance to ride the new trails yesterday. They really are a blast, it's such a big change from what it was a few months ago. I only saw a handful of trail runners the whole time and everyone was polite when I said, "hi."

I'm curious how the other direction is now.


Same experience here. What time did you go riding? I was out there from like 930 to 11 riding the loops. Was riding with two other buddies. Maybe we met.
My Rides:
Trail: '99 Klein Mantra, SID fork, RP3 shock, XT mechs, Hayes hydros, WTB Speeddisc wheelset
Runabout: '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Manitou SXe fork, STX mechs, Alvio brakes, Bontrager Convair wheelset
User avatar
cmags
Hammer Head
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:50 pm
Location: Marietta, Georgia

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby sdreiske » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:03 pm

I've been doing trail running pretty religiously for the past couple months starting at Sope or the access road off Interstate North Parkway or whatever it is and have been so super impressed by how polite the MTB people are.

I'm constantly hearing "runner up", "walker up", "thank you", "hi", "beautiful day to be outside", "on your left", "on your right", "two more back" and all sorts of other nice trail etiquette. As a person who runs and bikes I really appreciate that. If I'm approaching a tight spot on foot or one of the few switchback turns and see a biker coming I'll stop and wait so that I don't mess up the bikers flow and almost everyone says thank you or something like that.

That's how multi use rec areas should be. Well done! :)
Sonya
User avatar
sdreiske
Rock Hopper
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:00 pm
Location: Marietta

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby ScottGreer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:11 pm

sdreiske wrote:That's how multi use rec areas should be. Well done! :)

Agreed, it's typically the few bad apples that ruin things.

Prime example from Soap Creek2 years ago when I first started riding (literally my second ride). We were climbing our way back out and an older gentleman walking his dog was in the trail. I, out of shape and taking a break halfway out the climb, said "hi" as he walked by. Moments later 3 riders on MTBs were climbing and the older guy walking his dog were apparently in the way. The leader of the pack apparently got frustrated and exclaimed "bikes have the right of way ***" as he pedaled by slightly off the trail. At the time, a newbie, I had no idea whether that was true or not. I was already a bit perturbed he had been so rude to a senior citizen. Had I known the biker was not only a douche, but in the wrong as well, we may have had words............assuming he would have been in the P-Lot when I got back MUCH later. :lol:

Looking back, I wish I'd known the rules better. Only we can police ourselves. Being a #@&% will only get us booted from these trails. So what you lost the Strava challenge today. Try again tomorrow! :cheers:
User avatar
ScottGreer
Dirt Dawg
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: New trails at Sope Creek--date set for opening

Postby MWT » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:27 pm

I rode Sope Creek on Saturday and a couple with a dog asked me in a fairly rude tone whether or not bikes were allowed on the trail during weekends. When I said "yes," the woman asked if I was riding in the correct direction. She clearly had a confrontational mindset, but, thankfully, she had no legitimate gripe. Otherwise, other trail users have been polite.
MWT
Training Wheel Tyke
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Mountain Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users