Blankets Creek open April 30?

That's what we're here for.

Blankets Creek open April 30?

Postby KevinH » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

I'm working in Acworth tomorrow and was hoping to get a ride in at Blankets in the evening. I checked the trail status page and it says it's open but it hasn't been updated since April 20. Did it not close after the heavy rain Sunday?

Given that it dried out today, is it safe to assume it will be open tomorrow (Tuesday)?
KevinH
Stump Jumper

Re: Blankets Creek open April 30?

Postby FujNoob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 am

According to the website and hotline it is open.
FujNoob
Rock Hopper

Postby B•B » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Yes. It's open today and has been since the 20th. We rarely close the trails for rain in the spring/summer/fall.
Vice President - SORBA Woodstock
B•B
Hammer Head

Postby KevinH » Wed May 01, 2013 1:07 am

Thanks. Arrived at about 6:30 and had a GREAT ride. I hadn't ridden Blankets since '06 and forgot what a great trail system it is. I rode Dwellings and the South loop before even realizing there was a new loop! I'll try that one next time I'm out in Acworth.

I was also shocked at the number of cars in the new parking lot! The place was packed for a Tuesday evening but only saw a couple other riders on the trails. Nice evening.
KevinH
Stump Jumper

Postby KevinH » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

B•B wrote:Yes. It's open today and has been since the 20th. We rarely close the trails for rain in the spring/summer/fall.

Ugh...but apparently it closes when it's dry!

Dragged my bike 70 miles to work today and then 20 miles to Blankets without checking the status. Closed. 70 miles back home with no riding.

Even Chicopee, which closes when someone takes a leak on the trail, was open. :oops:

That will teach me to NEVER assume a trail is open.
KevinH
Stump Jumper

Postby cmags » Fri May 10, 2013 1:34 am

Always check the site.. especially after rain. Portions of the trails at blankets are under water right now due to flooding of allatoona from the recent rain. The neighboring park, rope mill, has picnic tables that were 100 feet from the creek completely submergerd. But I saw there was a big volunteer turnout yyesterday to help with drainage, so it should be back in order soon.
My Rides:
Trail: '99 Klein Mantra, SID fork, RP3 shock, XT mechs, Hayes hydros, WTB Speeddisc wheelset
Runabout: '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Manitou SXe fork, STX mechs, Alvio brakes, Bontrager Convair wheelset
cmags
Hammer Head

Postby grog » Fri May 10, 2013 6:43 am

Rain or not, it was to be closed Thu through Sat afternoon for the race Saturday. I thought that had been posted on the forum but guess it was only on SORBA-W's site.

It's too late now but next time hit Sope if it hasn't rained in a few days. While not Blankets mileage, it's makes for a good alternative.
grog
Rock Hopper

Return to Mountain Biking