Campground recommendations for Dupont...

That's what we're here for.

Campground recommendations for Dupont...

Postby DoctorJD » Thu May 09, 2013 8:41 am

I know I've seen threads about this in the past, but couldn't find anything with the search function. As I understand it, there's one campground up there to avoid at all cost, and some other pretty good ones. We aren't a bunch of hell raisers, but we will enjoy a cold beer around the campsite. Preferably looking for a site with showers, any recommendations?

One of the guys going with us had a TERRIBLE experience at Davidson a few years ago. He was there with his family and said the owners harassed them the entire time they were there. Said he went there the year before (without bikes) and they were very accommodating. Went back the next year with their bikes and you would have thought they were Hell's Angels.

Edit: We will be tent camping.
Last edited by DoctorJD on Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorJD
Rock Hopper

Re: Campground recommendations for Dupont...

Postby Bull Mtn Bigfoot » Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 am

We RV camp so these are based on that, North Mills River campground is a really great one no hookups, Ash Grove is another good one but tight. North Mills is in NF and is run by hosts but they're super nice and love bikers, mtb and harley. Ash Grove is private and the guys there are good guys and accomodating and you can drink beer at either, in the NF I think it is not allowed but had no issues.

Cascade lakes is the one to stay away from, ficking nazis there.

Sorry forgot North Mills is in Pisgah so about 20-25 min or so from Dupont but in the middle of some great riding, Ash Grove is just up the street from corn mills shoals, shining lake and all of those other access points.
Bull Mtn Bigfoot
Rock Hopper

Postby MarkEm » Thu May 09, 2013 6:01 pm

RAMBO groups stayed at the Black Forest Campground in 2010 and 2011. Showers, pool, a very good $6.00 pancake breakfast, beer allowed and nice folks run the place. It's only about ten minutes to the Corn Shoals, Lake Imaging and Fawn Lake trailheads.

We're hoping to plan a RAMBO trip for July this year and will go back to this campground. DuPont must be 20 degrees cooler than the ATL and is a great summer respite!
Mark McCabe

Help out where you can.
MarkEm
Rock Hopper

Postby KevinBoyer » Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 pm

+1 for Black Forest. I haven't stayed there yet, but I will when I head up that way. I talked to the owner when I called and she was very nice and explained all about the CG. They like bikers too.
http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin*
*2013 Intense Spider 29*
KevinBoyer
Dirt Dawg

Postby DoctorJD » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 am

Good to hear you guys suggesting Black Forest, its the one we've been looking at. Thanks!
DoctorJD
Rock Hopper

Return to Mountain Biking