Local skills clinics

That's what we're here for.

Local skills clinics

Postby mnigro » Thu May 09, 2013 9:22 pm

I feel like my cornering skills suck. They're probably not as bad as I think but I'm sure I have a good bit of room to improve. Are there any single day skills clinics in the greater ATL area or reasonably close?

I saw there was a 3 day clinic being offered up in NC but that's much more than I was hoping to pay, $700+.

Thanks.
mnigro
Rock Hopper

Re: Local skills clinics

Postby scmtbiker » Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 am

mnigro wrote:I feel like my cornering skills suck. They're probably not as bad as I think but I'm sure I have a good bit of room to improve. Are there any single day skills clinics in the greater ATL area or reasonably close?

I saw there was a 3 day clinic being offered up in NC but that's much more than I was hoping to pay, $700+.

Thanks.

What did you get for $700?? That is outrageous.
scmtbiker
Rock Hopper

Postby bikephan » Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 am

practice practice practice.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby cmags » Fri May 10, 2013 1:29 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42636

Maybe a little unofficial group ride pointers could help?
My Rides:
Trail: '99 Klein Mantra, SID fork, RP3 shock, XT mechs, Hayes hydros, WTB Speeddisc wheelset
Runabout: '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Manitou SXe fork, STX mechs, Alvio brakes, Bontrager Convair wheelset
cmags
Hammer Head

Postby dgjessee » Fri May 10, 2013 7:46 am

Full disclosure - I work for REI. We have classes at Allatoona Creek, Sope Creek, and Fort Yargo and try to add classes 6-10 weeks out from the date: http://www.rei.com/class/42/market/240/09092013
dgjessee
Hammer Head

Postby psychobillycadillac » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am

I've heard great things about Gene Hamilton's camps, here's one that he's doing in Asheville in July - http://betterride.mycustomevent.com/Sho ... ew&iid=39&

It looks like a lot of money at first but when you break it down to what it is, 3 days of small class instruction w/ one on one teaching available I think you can see the value in it (if that is what you are looking for).
psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Postby mnigro » Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks for the comments. I am probably not nearly as bad as I make it out to be but I know I can get better. I think one of my main problems is that I've hit a plateau and need to find more ways to push myself to get better.

@scmtbiker, the clinic is listed in the last post about the Ashville event. The $700 includes 3 full days of instruction. This would be ideal but I cannot justify the cost plus 3 days of PTO from work. Would love to do it but never gonna happen.

@Cmags, thanks for posting that link. I'l definitely going to attend those sessions and grouop rides. I agree that just following a better rider makes a difference.

@Drew, agreed. I just cannot seem to stop pussing out and rail those corners. Although it's been a long time since it has happened, I've washed out a few times due to one thing or another (though not leaning my body...) and I've gotten into a bad habit of backing off on the gas / braking more than needed before entering the corners. I'm running either Trail kings, Purgatory or Ground Controls in the front so it isn't a traction/tire issue. Its a pansy issue!!! Taking a better line into the corners is another potential issue.

I need to find someone to ride with that can follow me for a few laps and give me some pointers but also challenge me to keep up. I always seem to ride faster when someone is on my butt. I know there are a couple of books that are also supposed to help a lot, just cannot remember which ones are worth reading?
mnigro
Rock Hopper

Postby Glagola1 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

I'll teach you how to rail for a case of beer. :)
Glagola1
Stump Jumper

Postby DoctorJD » Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am

mnigro wrote:I need to find someone to ride with that can follow me for a few laps and give me some pointers but also challenge me to keep up. I always seem to ride faster when someone is on my butt.

Want to get faster? Follow the faster rider rather than them follow you. Watch their lines, braking points, body position. I promise you, the best way to get faster (IMHO) is to ride with people faster than yourself.
DoctorJD
Rock Hopper

Postby ScubaCruz » Fri May 10, 2013 11:24 am

Glagola1 wrote:I'll teach you how to rail for a case of beer. I got this bag of wrenches I use! :)

Fixed it for you, Patches :P

Friday Follies!
ScubaCruz
Rock Hopper

Postby trhoppe » Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm

I'm going to third the "hook up with some group rides". I have learned SO MUCH by "assimilating" skillz from the guys that I ride with. I started out being way back in the pack and could only follow them for a bit, and now I'm in the thick of it :)

Sure it will take longer than a 3-day $700 class, but you'll get a lot more enjoyment (IMHO) out of a ton of group rides.

-Tom
trhoppe
Rock Hopper

Postby mnigro » Fri May 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Yep, all good points. I want to get better and I know there's room for it.
mnigro
Rock Hopper

Postby bikephan » Sat May 11, 2013 1:07 am

Seriously. Find that corner that kills you and study it. Sit there and find the breaking point and go beyond with that frame of mind. Be prepared to slide out. I think the trail king is such a predictable tire that once you learn it"s characteristics it gives so many warnings before it gives but you have to find your personal sounds.

I learned this from many years of bmx racing. There is no substitute for saddle time.

Keeping up is fitness, railing a corner is skill.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby CycleYouth » Sat May 18, 2013 12:08 pm

We do a junior mtb camp and cover these topics. We are considering doing an adult camp, long weekend style, and teaching the same skills. We are not sure of interest. We are looking for 8-10 participants.
Cornering is huge. You can learn from fast riders and take that skill set to it's maximum, but what we teach is a new skill set that can reach even farther.
Timing would be early Aug, or could be late June/early July.
Let us know....
CycleYouth
Mountain Biker

Postby clem » Sat May 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Disable your brakes. Then go ride. :)
Hippie chicks rule!

Current moderations: 4
clem
Rock Hopper

Next

Return to Mountain Biking