RIP Atlanta Pro Bicycles

That's what we're here for.

RIP Atlanta Pro Bicycles

Postby psychobillycadillac » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:53 am

Chris announced last night that the doors have closed, it's a shame that we've lost yet another great independent shop in Atlanta. :(
psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Re: RIP Atlanta Pro Bicycles

Postby GTscoob » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:21 am

Yep, used to go there a bunch back in the day and would still pop in on occasion since it was on my commute.

I'd heard there were issues with the landlord . . .
GTscoob
Rock Hopper

Postby slowwrx » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:33 am

GTscoob wrote:Yep, used to go there a bunch back in the day and would still pop in on occasion since it was on my commute.

I'd heard there were issues with the landlord . . .

The bike business is tough. I looked into opening a shop in 2006. After meeting with a couple of the brands we wanted to carry and talking with my CPA there is no way I would jump into that business as a shop. Props to the guys that make it work because the profit margins are terrible.
slowwrx
Dirt Dawg

Postby BarryG » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 pm

That is a real shame. A great old time bike shop.
Sorry.

Barry
BarryG
Mountain Biker

Postby iride » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:53 pm

and, yet, skate escape remains open.

what a drag....
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby GTscoob » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 am

iride wrote:and, yet, skate escape remains open.

what a drag....

Love the wrenches over there but cant stand the owner. I imagine their Piedmont Park loaner bikes take care of all of their bills.
GTscoob
Rock Hopper

Postby iride » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am

GTscoob wrote:

what a drag....

Love the wrenches over there but cant stand the owner. I imagine their Piedmont Park loaner bikes take care of all of their bills.

that has to be the only thing keeping them in business. re: the owner...yeah, definitely not a fan.
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby Treybiker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:50 am

iride wrote:
GTscoob wrote:

what a drag....

that has to be the only thing keeping them in business. re: the owner...yeah, definitely not a fan.

They may not appease to either of your type of needs, but they are one of my favorite shops to visit. Bob won't blow smoke up your butt to make you happy nor will he pretend to be your friend to sell you stuff, but he provides a great service and CHEAP bike and skate rentals for anyone that wants to go for a nice stroll in the park. He has an opinion and will let you know what it is while respecting yours if you ask, and some of the best stories. He's one of the most honest guys in the business and Rafael's knowledge and skills run deep. Don't judge by appearance. That place has been around since the late 70's and a shop that is still around since then is not still open by mistake. (I have a love for old shops that still have old stuff laying around........ not to mention a sword).
Treybiker
Rock Hopper

Postby GTscoob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:59 am

Oh yeah, Rafael and Joseph are killer mechanics and Bob is a straight shooter; most of the people I know that love Skate Escape love it because of these two guys. Bob's a straight shooter, thats for sure and he doesnt bullshit around, just personally not a fan. Every shop in this town has a different personality and there's room for them all.

Location location location I think is why Skate Escape has been around for so long, as mentioned above.
GTscoob
Rock Hopper

Postby Treybiker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:13 pm

GTscoob wrote:Location location location I think is why Skate Escape has been around for so long, as mentioned above.

And he's not renting that location either. I just want to make sure people are not bashing something just for not being their cup-o-tea. There is not one shop I know of that doesn't appease to a certain group and most all of those shops respect the others for that.
Treybiker
Rock Hopper

Return to Mountain Biking