"Brake" In

That's what we're here for.

"Brake" In

Postby ScottGreer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Just got a new set of pads on my Fisher 29er. It has Juicy 3s and I went back with the stock sintered pads. The old pads were nearly completely gone. The new pads however were TERRIBLE on the first 10 miles of a ride this past Sunday. About 10 miles in they started to bite a little better, but still no where near as well as the old pads that came off. Is there a trick to breaking in new brake pads? I'm pulling the rear lever as hard as I can with an index finger and can still barely lock up the rear tire.

With poor braking, some sections of Dawson Forest were sketch Sunday to say the least! :oops:
ScottGreer
Dirt Dawg

Re: "Brake" In

Postby cmags » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:08 pm

http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/article/wor ... ads-31337/

In your neighborhood do a quick sprint then at speed drag the brake lightly for acouple seconds to warm yup the brakes then do a hard stop. Repeat a half to a dozen times to bed in the pads.
My Rides:
Trail: '99 Klein Mantra, SID fork, RP3 shock, XT mechs, Hayes hydros, WTB Speeddisc wheelset
Runabout: '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Manitou SXe fork, STX mechs, Alvio brakes, Bontrager Convair wheelset
cmags
Hammer Head

Re: "Brake" In

Postby ScottGreer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm

cmags wrote:http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/article/workshop-how-to-bed-in-disc-brake-pads-31337/

In your neighborhood do a quick sprint then at speed drag the brake lightly for acouple seconds to warm yup the brakes then do a hard stop. Repeat a half to a dozen times to bed in the pads.

Guess that makes sense. They seemed better after the first few longer down hills Sunday. Need to get out and do a few more warm ups and hard stops I guess. Thanks!
ScottGreer
Dirt Dawg

Return to Mountain Biking