Kennesaw Question

Gush about your favorite trails and riding areas, gripe about the bad ones, find a new spot...

Re: Kennesaw Question - Revisited

Postby DaMtnRider » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:56 am

Hey All,

I was out walking the Kennesaw Mtn trails yesterday and started riding the trails in my mind. Anyone know if there has been any discussions anywhere about the potential of allowing new trails/bikes at Kennesaw?
Allen
----------------------------------------
-Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger. ~Smooth Johnson
DaMtnRider
Rock Hopper

Re: Kennesaw Question - Revisited

Postby grog » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:18 am

DaMtnRider wrote:Hey All,

I was out walking the Kennesaw Mtn trails yesterday and started riding the trails in my mind. Anyone know if there has been any discussions anywhere about the potential of allowing new trails/bikes at Kennesaw?

I may be wrong - and hopefully someone from SORBA-ATL that was instrumental in getting more trail at Sope can chime in (Charles?) - but given that Kennesaw Mountain is a national park, I think it takes almost literally an act of Congress to authorize it (there are/were some very specific rules/laws governing land use at NPs). I don't have time to do a search but k2biker (I think) did a good job of detailing/keeping all in the loop the steps they had to take to expand the trails that bikes are allowed at Sope Creek. Whether the work they did to have the law rewritten was specific to Sope Creek (I believe there was also another trail system at the same time) or to all systems on federal land, I don't know. I would probably get hold of whoever is trail director for SORBA-ATL and start the discussion with them.

Somewhere on the forum - can't remember where (or maybe I'm dreaming it ...) - is the history of SORBA. If memory serves, it was actually formed due to the loss of trails at Kennesaw Mountain.
grog
Rock Hopper

Re: Kennesaw Question

Postby DaMtnRider » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:47 am

Thanks. I remembered it was a Fed thing vs local, but I had seen where other Nat'l parks in the country had allowed MTB's. I wasn't sure if that could work in our favor or if it was an individual thing. I wonder what channels were gone through when they banned bikes in the first place.
Allen
----------------------------------------
-Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger. ~Smooth Johnson
DaMtnRider
Rock Hopper

Previous

Return to Trails & Trail Systems