Why Doesn't Chicopee have Cut-Outs?

Gush about your favorite trails and riding areas, gripe about the bad ones, find a new spot...

Re: Why Doesn't Chicopee have Cut-Outs?

Postby bikephan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:12 am

psychobillycadillac wrote:Step one is to cut a hole in the box...... :shock:

what kind of cut-out.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 am

I know that dumping off-topic banter is frowned upon but it was starting to sound like a junior high girls' locker room so I culled out the latest little spat.

The reality (since this has obviously turned into a "he said/he said" debate) is that BOTH sides are right to an extent. As an urban trail (yes, while it's a good 40 or 50 miles from Atlanta, given the size of the metro area, I still think of it as an urban trail) cut outs/emergency exits make sense to give beginners/families a way out if over their head for whatever reason (mech, injury, simply too far for little ones). bikephan has a point (and OldSchool validated it by owning up to not being prepared) that advanced riders SHOULD be prepared to some extent.

That being said, MY level of "preparedness" has evolved to vary upon the trail and conditions I'm riding. A quick lunch ride at Sope = the bare essentials (water bottle and saddle bag with multitool, CO2 and tube). Couple of laps at Blankets might mean another tube and a CBak (more water). Epic ride at Bull or Iron Mountain in the middle of July is going to include a first aid kid and maybe some water tablets. When you lived here, bikephan, did you carry the same gear regardless of whether it was Pisgah, Bull or Blankets? I'm not being sarcastic/antagonistic - simply curious. I DID used to carry the same gear for every ride regardless of where it was . . . it wasn't until a few years ago I started to evaluate how much I really needed for the short(ish) rides at lunch and realized that, hey, NOT carrying a 20 pound pack felt pretty damn good!
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby u1ockjustice » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:15 am

Aw, man. But my "bikephan acting in real life as he does on the Internet" bit was so illuminating...
u1ockjustice
Rock Hopper

Postby bikephan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:14 pm

grog wrote: When you lived here, bikephan, did you carry the same gear regardless of whether it was Pisgah, Bull or Blankets? I'm not being sarcastic/antagonistic - simply curious. I DID used to carry the same gear for every ride regardless of where it was . . . it wasn't until a few years ago I started to evaluate how much I really needed for the short(ish) rides at lunch and realized that, hey, NOT carrying a 20 pound pack felt pretty damn good!

I have 3 packs that range in size. Largest has multiple tubes, shift cable, der hanger, masterlinks, compass, emergency blanket, food/energy for 2-3 people, tools,etc etc. It has enough for me to spend a night in the woods. Used in Pisgah, Whole Enchilada runs, Monarch Pass, North GA, long long rides. I also carry a few more bolts, etc because I know if I have them I can fix them. It is heavy. But I am responsible for myself out there.

middle one has a few less things but still able to fix a broken der hanger. In GA, I just had the poncho and I still always take my phone which had a compass app. Since being in the industry, I bought 3 multi tools so I would never forget to pull from other packs.

Minimal one was water, a couple things of food/energy, multi tool, masterlinks, co2 pump, and 1 tube. If there was an issue where I had to walk out I deal with it and hike out. I understand the risks involved in my choices and I will play the hand I get dealt.

I also understand the idea of an escape/emergency way out but the trail system should not be forced/required to use man hours to build it. It is an outdoor sport.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby bikephan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:23 pm

grog wrote:That being said, MY level of "preparedness" has evolved to vary upon the trail and conditions I'm riding. A quick lunch ride at Sope = the bare essentials (water bottle and saddle bag with multitool, CO2 and tube).

exactly. If you had a more serious issue you know/knew you would be hiking. I got stuck on Horsethief with a mangled der. It was supposed to be an quick ride. Just grap the minimal pack. Yeah it would have been sweet to just cut across to the entrance and make a 2.5 mile hike down to 1 mile but I am not going to suggest or request to have that outlet.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby laoniu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 am

If that bothers you I recommend just riding the sidewalk around your house.
laoniu
Training Wheel Tyke

Previous

Return to Trails & Trail Systems