Looking for a Trail/paved trail

Gush about your favorite trails and riding areas, gripe about the bad ones, find a new spot...

Looking for a Trail/paved trail

Postby newtogabiking » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 pm

I am new to GA (hence the name) and I am looking for trails that i can easily take my 2 yr old Husky to so he can run/pull me on my bike. I have taken him to the Silver Comet Trail before and he/I liked that one a lot but it is too far for me to go each time. I live near Stockbridge, what are a few good places to take him.

I am a beginner biker (older/beat up mountain bike). Most important aspect of a new trail would be that I can bring my dog along with me. Whether it is paved asphalt (like silver comet) or off road.

Please Help!!!

K
newtogabiking
Training Wheel Tyke

Re: Looking for a Trail/paved trail

Postby grog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Panola Mountain has ~12 miles of paved trail and should be closer to you than the Comet.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby RamX » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Panola Mountain would be your best option. Its off Hwy 155 there is paved and im pretty sure a small amount (~2 miles) of natural surface begineer trail there.
RamX
Rock Hopper

Postby AllenM » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:39 pm

There are a bunch of PATH trails near Panola Mountain, Arabia Mountain, etc. All paved, but good scenery and very little interaction with roadways.
http://pathfoundation.org/trails/arabia-mountain/
Or go to google maps, zoom in to Panola mountain and click the bicycle tab. It will highlight a bunch of bright green PATH trails.
AllenM
Rock Hopper

Postby Sadlebred » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Bringing your dog with you while riding your bike is not a good idea on a paved trail. He cannot be off leash.It's dangerous. He can run out in front of another rider, etc. I know, I know YOUR dog would never do it. But you never know. It's happened to me on the Comet by a great dog that NEVER runs off, which is why he was off leash. If you are riding and the dog pulls, you can fall over. Plus, dogs on long leashes can get in the way of other people. You don't have as much control over your dog as you would walking.
http://www.sadlebred.com (of course!)
http://www.southeasterncycling.com All you need for the Georgia Cycling and Racing Scene!
Sadlebred
Rock Hopper

Postby newtogabiking » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:33 pm

thank you all for your help! looks like panola mountain will work perfect!
allenM..the wording i want to use is "path trail"? thank u that is exactly the tricks i was looking for!
sadlebred, while the honesty is understood. i dont do much of the riding, he pullson the leash 1-2 feet in front of the bike. we have been doing it for 2 years now on the streets/paths/trails etc. this is as much excersize for him as it is for me.
newtogabiking
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby raima55 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:05 am

I will be renting a car when I get to salt lake and driving into moab. Meeting with a few friends in Moab but the festable sounds like a blast !! I will try and make over there!! And will post up when and if I do. And thanks for all the info. :D
raima
raima55
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby dirtywill » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Allen wasn't emphasizing the word "path", he was referring to a particular organization call The PATH Foundation. They build a lot of the type of trail that you are looking for. Check out the link he provided.
dirtywill
Rock Hopper

Return to Trails & Trail Systems