Blue Trail Extension, Hard Labor

Gush about your favorite trails and riding areas, gripe about the bad ones, find a new spot...

Blue Trail Extension, Hard Labor

Postby mtnbkr57 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 am

Bill Pflueger, thanks for the extension on the blue trail. Awesome. 5.9 miles, along with the red trail.. that makes over 10 miles of sweet single track. Keep on desiging those wonderful trails, as I've heard you've been doing.
mtnbkr57
Rock Hopper

Re: Blue Trail Extension, Hard Labor

Postby trigeekbil » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks...dirt therapy for old [email protected]! Next, and now under construction, is the GREEN trail...another ~4.5-miles of fast, rolling, sweeping singletrack to get our total around 15-miles!
Work parties the 2nd Saturday of each month...9 till 1 from the main parking lot with a ride afterwards.
trigeekbil
Dirt Dawg

Postby ScottGreer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Is there a current map for HLC? I haven't been in a long time and want to go soon. Wouldn't mind knowing roughly where I am.
ScottGreer
Stump Jumper

Postby trigeekbil » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:30 am

Before you head out, check the SORBA Athens website for maps and info on all the East-side trails... http://www.sorbaathens.org/trails.html

We also try to keep a supply of maps at the trailhead kiosk but wouldn't count on it. Last, you can drop by the park office, the Trading Post, for any permits or maps.

Thanks for supporting HLC trails...
trigeekbil
Dirt Dawg

Re: GREEN TRAIL, Hard Labor

Postby mtnbkr57 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:17 am

trigeekbil wrote:Thanks...dirt therapy for old [email protected]! Next, and now under construction, is the GREEN trail...another ~4.5-miles of fast, rolling, sweeping singletrack to get our total around 15-miles!
Work parties the 2nd Saturday of each month...9 till 1 from the main parking lot with a ride afterwards.

Green Trail is up and running - and from viewing the Strava app on my cell phone - quite a few bikers are running it. It's a great pick-me-up to bike, just after work, and before I head home to feed the dogs. Do buy an annual park pass, and do buy an annual bike pass - then you can tread the trails at the state parks. Now if we can only get this trails' designer to place his seal of trail adventure on Mistletoe State Park, and GIHP, and Tsali, and ...
mtnbkr57
Rock Hopper

Postby trigeekbil » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks for the review and for riding the trails at HLC, mtnbkr57. Another option for riding is to give up 20-volunteer hours per year for a free bike pass...your trails and wallet will appreciate that.
FYI, we're well into building Phase 2 of the Green trail. Completed the corridor and rode it for the first time today...seems we'll soon be adding another 1.7-miles to the system! Join us the 2nd Saturday of each month to help make it happen.
Oh, I did do maintenance work on the HP trails for a few years and even completed two reroutes on the Rock side before the existing trail guru ran me off...just before he erased one of the fall-line reroutes... :roll:
trigeekbil
Dirt Dawg

Postby PoppiGoBike » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:21 am

I noticed yesterday, there were posted on the green trail, many 'no horse riding' glyph signs. I think the State Park is surrounded by a horse-stable community. The Green Trails, 1 and 2, were manicured: leafs blown to the sides. Green Trail 1 is tight and technical. Green Trail 2 is a Roller Coaster Ride. Pump hard, and coast. Beautifully laid out. Kudos to the trail designer.
PoppiGoBike
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby trigeekbil » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks...Green Trail was fun to build. Several horses on the trail near the creek, coming from a hunting club, we think. Seems the signs are working.
Currently adding another half-mile to Blue and hoping to open in January...enjoy!
trigeekbil
Dirt Dawg

Postby PoppiGoBike » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Rode Blue and part-green trails today. Still manicured. One dead tree down on 1st Green Trail as you head onto the trail from the fire service road. Other than that, beautiful day to go ride. Oh yeah, Athens SORBA was gearing up to ride HLCSP. Big group. Makes you want to join SORBA and be part of the fellowship. I'm sure they will have enjoyed their ride.
PoppiGoBike
Training Wheel Tyke

Return to Trails & Trail Systems