Root cutting at Chicopee;(

Gush about your favorite trails and riding areas, gripe about the bad ones, find a new spot...

Root cutting at Chicopee;(

Postby APBLING72 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:46 am

Once again there seems to be rogue root cutting on certain sections of Chicopee. Some on the White Tail(Outer loop), flying squirrel, and copperhead. This is ridiculous!! Whoever is committing this selfish act please stop. You are trying to make the trails match your ability. How about brining your ability up to the already mostly tame nature of this trail system. If anything, we should advancing the technical nature of sections of Chicopee.

Irritated...Rant over.
Last edited by APBLING72 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
APBLING72
Stump Jumper

Re: Root cutting at Chicopee;(

Postby bikephan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:01 pm

+1
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby oclvframe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 am

Damn...that sucks.....hope it stops!!!!!
oclvframe
Rock Hopper

Postby tenbsmith » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:53 am

You're probably speaking to the choir here, but if misery loves company then maybe it will help that I've seen the same thing at Yellow River, plus some very odd water bar placement, ruins the flow. proverbs for the win!
wind whistles in an empty ear
tenbsmith
Rock Hopper

Postby Glagola1 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Yeah man! These guys need to ride lighter.
Glagola1
Stump Jumper

Postby geezer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Rode every trail there today except copperhead (as I do every week) and did not see any evidence of which you speak.
geezer
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby APBLING72 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 am

geezer wrote:Rode every trail there today except copperhead (as I do every week) and did not see any evidence of which you speak.

They're there only in a few areas. You can see the small hatchet marks where people have attempted to hack away. Also, mounting rocks on backsides of roots to assist in climbing it appears. It's just crazy, IMO, that people do stuff like that on the main trail path. If that's the case we need to create more technical features on alternate lines for those of us that want a challenge when we ride our MOUNTAIN bikes!:)
APBLING72
Stump Jumper

Postby marvin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:02 pm

I was riding at Chicopee a couple of years ago during a weekday just after lunchtime and saw someone in the act of cutting out roots; not being a local I did not know if this was a rogue act or not, but the guy did seem to have an embarrassed look on his face as I rode by
marvin
Stump Jumper

Postby chromohero » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Preach, brutha! We need more technical lines and options at Chico. Help please.
chromohero
Hammer Head

Postby FujNoob » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Saw a few in the last couple of rides. Unless you are acting on behalf of GS no trail modifications should be made of any kind. I'm all in favor of alernate lines to add more tech stuff or as an option for newer riders to get around something they haven't developed the skill to ride yet. Options are good.
FujNoob
Rock Hopper

Postby APBLING72 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:01 pm

Just saw that a whole section of roots were removed on Copperhead, the supposedly the only advanced "tech trail" at Chicopee. Would really like to know what's next, or if there is some plan to add back in man made rock gardens or TTFs to replace the removed roots? If not this is truly disappointing.
APBLING72
Stump Jumper

Postby FujNoob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Rode over that section this am. I hope it was done in the interest of erosion control.
FujNoob
Rock Hopper

Postby Glagola1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:47 am

APBLING72 wrote:Just saw that a whole section of roots were removed on Copperhead, the supposedly the only advanced "tech trail" at Chicopee. Would really like to know what's next, or if there is some plan to add back in man made rock gardens or TTFs to replace the removed roots? If not this is truly disappointing.

What's funny is that due to erosion, the most technical parts of the trail can now be found on White Tail.
Glagola1
Stump Jumper

Postby APBLING72 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Yes and I love it. I hope no one takes it upon themselves to "tame" white tail (outer loop) now. It would be considered an intermediate trail anyway by most standards.

G-Sorba informed me that they did not perform the root removal on copperhead. So, this remains a mystery as to who the culprit is.
APBLING72
Stump Jumper

Postby FujNoob » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:47 pm

Glagola1 wrote:What's funny is that due to erosion, the most technical parts of the trail can now be found on White Tail.

LOL. So true

APBLING72 wrote:G-Sorba informed me that they did not perform the root removal on copperhead. So, this remains a mystery as to who the culprit is.

It looked like a lot of work was done in that section. Someone had to get back there with tools. Wonder if anyone saw who it was? Sad part is it wasn't that difficult of a section.
FujNoob
Rock Hopper

Return to Trails & Trail Systems