Moving to your area

Gush about your favorite trails and riding areas, gripe about the bad ones, find a new spot...

Moving to your area

Postby SSMTBer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am

Hi y'all:

We are contemplating a move to the Charleston area and I'm very interested in learning all I can about mountain biking in the area. Currently we are living in new York on Long Island which is fairly flat. We are lucky enough to have plenty of local trails which our maintained by our local club CLIMB.

I'm interested in any recommendations for trails within an hour of Charleston, if there is a local chapter of SORBA or any other clubs in the area and recommendations for good bike shops. Any places or groups that organize rides would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help or information.

Ron
SSMTBer
Training Wheel Tyke

Re: Moving to your area

Postby grog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm in the Atlanta area and don't know much about the mountain bike scene near Charleston but I'm sure someone will jump in. About 2.5 to 3 hours west of you is FATS near Augusta, GA (on the SC side of the river) with (I think) ~30 miles of trail. My wife and I spent the 4th in Charleston and hit FATS on the way back - really enjoyed it until my EBB flaked on me.

Good luck.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby tenbsmith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:13 pm

Things are pretty flat around Charleston. There's a national forest near it with long rides available, but I never rode there. Here's a link to SC trails, not sure how complete or up-to-date it is.
http://www.sctrails.net/trails/ALLTRAIL ... 0BIKE.html

Charleston is about 4 hours from Asheville NC and some of the best riding on the east coast (pisgah, dupont).

Edit: Corrected the wrong trip time from Charleston to Asheville. Thanx Saddlebred.
Last edited by tenbsmith on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
wind whistles in an empty ear
tenbsmith
Rock Hopper

Postby Sadlebred » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:11 pm

tenbsmith wrote:Charleston is about 2.5 hours from Asheville NC and some of the best riding on the east coast (pisgah, dupont).

It's more like 4 hours from Charleston to Asheville.

There are several trails in Columbia, which is about 1.5 hours north of Charleston. The Francis Marion National Forest has some trails and hosts 1-2 races/year.

Signed,
The Carolina Girl
http://www.sadlebred.com (of course!)
http://www.southeasterncycling.com All you need for the Georgia Cycling and Racing Scene!
Sadlebred
Rock Hopper

Postby SSMTBer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I think Marrington Plantation and Wannamaker Park in Goose Creek are going to be my best bet for "local" trails.

Columbia definitely seems worth checking out as well.
SSMTBer
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby MarkEm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Harbison State Forest is a good SS track in Columbia. As to Wannamaker, it is almost nine miles of non-stop, non-technical rootyness that gets really old at about the time you realize that you have to ride four miles back to the car. I don't have a FS bike but I wished I did that evening.
Mark McCabe

Help out where you can.
MarkEm
Rock Hopper

Return to Trails & Trail Systems