FSRs around Tnasi

Gush about your favorite trails and riding areas, gripe about the bad ones, find a new spot...

FSRs around Tnasi

Postby funchik » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:01 pm

I am trying to branch out and think I have pieced together a rather nice loop for when the weather looks a little more promising. with the drive, not enough time for backtracking etc and prefer not to get caught in the rain in an area with which I am unfamiliar.

I tried to piece the Big Frog Loop using Garmin Base Camp. Wasnt able to find FSR maps with numbers to help.
What was tripping me up was there is also Big Frog Trail which I DONT WANT to take.

thunder rock to 45, take a rt to turn onto 221, Pass BF Trail and continue on 221.
take a right onto BIG FROG RD. BFR dead-ends. to the right is chestnut mtn. go to your LEFT to continue on BFR.
towards the end of BFR, curve to your right and stay to your right in order to pick up Peavine Sneeds Creeek rd(?). follow this straight and then take a right onto Peavine Road (proper). Peavine turns into FSR 221.
You will come to the fork of 221 & PFR. stay to your left.
Stay on 221 and bear left again at Wolf Creek.
221 joins up with Pace Gap. stay to your right to continue on 221.
continue straight on 221 passing Low Gap on the right; Indian flat to the left and then Big Frog Trail to the right.
Take at LEFT at FSR 45 and head back to Thunder Rock.

does this sound about right y'all?

If anyone can fill in FSR #s I would be most appreciative.
Believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean
G.K. Chester
funchik
Rock Hopper

Re: FSRs around Tnasi

Postby funchik » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:03 pm

also, if you could let me know if this would be CX doable too. its more or less my HT mtb:) Havent ridden up there in years and just can' remember.
Much appreciated.
Believe in getting into hot water; it keeps you clean
G.K. Chester
funchik
Rock Hopper

Re: FSRs around Tnasi

Postby k2biker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:14 pm

What sort of mileage are you looking for? Are you wanting just FS roads (seems like it). Step the first: get NatGeo 781 map. Step 2 - call me and I'll help you out. There's about 200 miles of gravel up there between the Ocoee and Hiwassee Rivers that are really good stuff. As for the bike choice, I'd stick with mtn bike (preferably HT) and leave the cross bike at home. You'll likely prefer the gearing on your MTB over the cross and with the gravel on those roads, wider tires = more stability.

On that map, you'll see Kimsey Mtn across the river the Thunder Rock. There's a lot of good riding and views over there. A little more to the NE, you'll find Buck Bald and some good stuff there. Sam @ Cycle South does weekly rides on all of that stuff so check their FB page for updates.

Let me know when you're looking at going...I might join ya -- I need some time in the saddle!
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
33North Adventures |Owner
k2biker
Rock Hopper

Return to Trails & Trail Systems