headlight for running?

Stupid pictures? Religion? Not about the bike... Keep 'em here, and we'll all be happy.

headlight for running?

Postby kevrider » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:18 pm

hey, does anyone do any trail running at night? i had a go at it last night, it was pretty cool and it was nice to be able to get it in after sunset. i went with the Petzl Tikka XP that i bought for camping use many moons ago. it was okay, but i wished i had more light. the Tikka supposedly puts out 40 lumens max, maybe 35 in the mode i was using. wandered around REI today, there were headlamps from 80 lumems up to 200+. but they all looked like they would have spot beam patterns. i liked the Tikka's flood pattern for on the trail last night. i flipped to spot briefly, but it was just too narrow. so... can anyone recommend a headlamp with a wide beam pattern for running?

even better would be a headstrap that would work with my mtn bike helmet light. dreamin.....
In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Rock Hopper

Re: headlight for running?

Postby GTscoob » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:18 pm

You can get a headband for Magicshine lights.

Niterider also makes a headband for their MiNewt line of bike lights. Just bought my gf a MiNewt for Christmas specifically because of the capability to use a headband for night-time trail running.

If you're into night time trail running, check out the Yeti Nightmare, 5/10 mile nighttime trail run at Sweetwater Creek Park in late March:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1463233 ... 7/?fref=ts
Rock Hopper

Postby Ga_Kush » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 am

I like to carry my light in my hand, I have a couple Schwinn cheapos from walmart that do just fine and fit in the palm of my hand. My NiteRider MiNewt gets a little warm after a wile.

Run all night in March too, at Crow's Lake.
The Outdoor Mafia 24 Hour Challenge is a 1 person, 4 person, or 8 person relay at Crow's Lake in Jefferson, GA. Participants will run a 6 mile trail loop course around beautiful Crow's Lake and exchange their team bracelet at the end of each loop. The team completing the most laps in 24 hours in each category will win an awesome prize package from Runners Fit. All teams must stay in the same relay order the entire 24 hours

Rock Hopper

Postby k2biker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:18 pm

I use a Black Diamond Spot and it works fine for running. I've tried adding the GoMotion chest light that connects to pack straps and it just bounces around too much to be of any use.
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
33North Adventures |Owner
Rock Hopper

Postby cRASh » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 am

Look at this. Comes with a head and jock strap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KU ... UTF8&psc=1
Rock Hopper

Return to Blabber / Off Topic