New Endurance Race - Allatoona Creek Saturday 9/21/13

Athletes: discuss racing, series, nutrition & training tips.

New Endurance Race - Allatoona Creek Saturday 9/21/13

Postby Jiml » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:17 pm

I am excited to announce that PTS Sports of Acworth, GA and Cobb County Parks & Recreation, with assistance from The Allatoona Creek Atlanta SORBA group will be hosting a Mountain Bike Endurance Race at Allatoona Creek on Saturday September 21, 2013. The main event will be a 6 hour race open to solo competitors as well as 2 and 3 person teams. Race classifications will be consistent with other GA endurance races.

In addition there will be a 3 hour solo competition for those that want to give solo endurance racing a try but want to step in slowly.

Due to hunting restrictions both races will start at noon. Allatoona Creek, located in Acworth GA, is FAST and should make for a great race venue. More details will follow in the coming weeks. For now, save the date!

Jim Linn
President
SORBA Atlanta - Allatoona Creek Trailhead
Jiml
Mountain Biker

Re: New Endurance Race - Allatoona Creek Saturday 9/21/13

Postby OffroadRatfish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am

I'm interested in this, but I'm curious on how it will be run. Soooo..here's the 20Qs...

Do you plan on having the additional trail on the north side of Stilesboro open?
If not, will the race utilize all of the trail that's already there, or only one side of the road?
If both sides, how will the road crossings be set up?
Will the "connectors" (Turtleback and Rusty>Bridge specifically, since those have narrower sections) be 2-way travel? If so, how will that be handled?

Thanks!
Bicycle Lifestyle - One Less Car!
OffroadRatfish
Rock Hopper

Postby Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Get out the specifics I ready to race!
Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool
Rock Hopper

Postby iride » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:54 pm

i'm guessing they'll cut some temporary connector trails to be able to utilize both sides of county line or old s'boro - whatever it is out there.
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby Jiml » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

OK, here is the current plan:
- Parking will be in the Current Old Stilesboro lot as well as in the field on the other side of the parking lot fence.
- Pits will be in the large field of the left on the way to Rusty Bucket
- Lap one ONLY will start with a complete lap of Turtle Back with extension. Old Stilesboro may be closed just after the parking lot for a bridge replacement so traffic wont be an issue. If the bridge work is done and the road is open we will have police at the crossing.
- The remainder of lap one and all remaining laps will be run on Rusty Bucket, and The newly expanded mason's Bridge loop. Lap 1 will be 14 miles while all other laps will be about 7 miles
- We will be cutting some new connector trails that will allow one way traffic. There will only be a section of about 25 yards that will be two way and it will be coned and attended by marshals

Before someone asks, Turtle is being used once to show case all trails and to thin the heard before the laps start. There are some narrow spots and bridges on the connector to TB that can't easily be widened so it will be used only once for safety. The longer first lap will also add a little strategy wrinkle to those competing as a team.

Jim Linn
Allatoona Creek 2013 President
Jiml
Mountain Biker

Postby Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

nice little touch 14 mile lap! I'm ready!
Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool
Rock Hopper

Postby iride » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:51 pm

it only showcases for those who ride it, no?

would sure like to see all trails used for the entire thing, but this is y'all's baby...
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby OffroadRatfish » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:06 am

Ditto. Width (and narrowness) are part of XC racing...

That said, I'm glad it won't be just 5 miles over and over again...
Bicycle Lifestyle - One Less Car!
OffroadRatfish
Rock Hopper

Postby Jiml » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:04 pm

Registration is now open for the Up The Creek 6 Hour Endurance Race at Allatoona Creek Park in Acworth. This will be a fast course. Come on out and join us. More information and registration can be found at:

http://ptssports.com/events/up-the-creek-mtb/

Jim Linn
Allatoona Creek Park 2013 Board President
Jiml
Mountain Biker

Postby Jiml » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:57 pm

As we are now less than 8 weeks out I want to bump our race back up to the top of the page. We are still finalizing the route but at this point it looks like we will be using a 7 to 8 mile loop out of the Old Stilesboro Road Trail Head that will use Rusty Bucket, and Mason's Bridge Loops 1 and 2. It will be VERY fast. I would not be surprised if the fastest riders do 60 to 70 miles.

Come and join us. A link to registration can be found in the note below.

Jim Linn
2013 ACP Board President
Jiml
Mountain Biker

Postby Jiml » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:48 pm

OK folks. I hear a lot of talk about folks planning to do our Up The Creek race but registration has been VERY light. Admittedly I was one of the folks talking who had not yet registered. I just completed my registration for 6 hours of solo old man fun. Now it is time for everyone else to put their money on the table! Note, when you hit the registration button at http://ptssports.com/events/up-the-creek-mtb/ it takes you to Active.Com were you have to either create an account or sign-in to an existing account to register. Please sign up today and show the folks at PTS that the MTB community is going to support their Event!

Thanks

Jim Linn
2013 Allatoona Creek Park
Board President
Jiml
Mountain Biker

Postby Andy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:09 pm

For those of us who are bad people who ride for the love, but race for the $, will there be prizes?
Andy
Stump Jumper

Postby Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm

when is the course gonna be up????
Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool
Rock Hopper

Postby coleman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Course Description: XC Loop, Rusty Bucket, Masons express, Masons Bridge, Masons Bluff, Masons Connector and new bonus trail. All trails will be run CCW. Course will be 8 miles.

There will be great prizes for each classification but not $.

This will be a very fast course.

Registration and more info can be found at
http://ptssports.com/events/up-the-creek-mtb/
coleman
Dirt Dawg

Postby Jiml » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:32 am

The initial Up The Creek 6 Hour Race at Allatoona Creek Park is just two weeks away and the planned cut off for registration is Sunday September 15. It will be a FAST course of about 8 miles per lap. Cobb County Parks and Recreation and the local IMBA/SORBA group have been putting in a lot of hours to make sure the trails will be in great shape rain or shine. There are plenty of solo and team categories to choose from. Please join us for a great day of fast flowing single track riding!

See http://ptssports.com/events/up-the-creek-mtb/ to register!
Jiml
Mountain Biker

Next

Return to Racing