12 Hours of Dauset recap

Athletes: discuss racing, series, nutrition & training tips.

12 Hours of Dauset recap

Postby grog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:12 pm

I had to bail at the last minute due to family emergency so I'm living vicariously through those that did it . . . how was it?
grog
Rock Hopper

Re: 12 Hours of Dauset recap

Postby wrxbiker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:43 pm

The race itself was great. The Bergers did a great job, as usual. But, hardly anyone showed up to race. They said this was the lowest turnout they had ever had, for any event that they've put on. I hope it turns around next year. It's normally my favorite race of the year. We had the only coed team there and there are usually 5-6.
wrxbiker
Rock Hopper

Postby wrxbiker » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:52 pm

wrxbiker
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:45 am

wrxbiker wrote:The race itself was great. The Bergers did a great job, as usual. But, hardly anyone showed up to race. They said this was the lowest turnout they had ever had, for any event that they've put on. I hope it turns around next year. It's normally my favorite race of the year. We had the only coed team there and there are usually 5-6.

I hate that but had a feeling that would be the case. Attendance has been steadily dropping for a while now. I hope that if they determine it's not feasible to continue doing it long term, they at least have a final one next year.

You were doing it with your daughter and her two grandpas, right? How'd that go? Everyone enjoy?
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby Robert » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:43 pm

wrxbiker wrote:The race itself was great. The Bergers did a great job, as usual. But, hardly anyone showed up to race. They said this was the lowest turnout they had ever had, for any event that they've put on. I hope it turns around next year. It's normally my favorite race of the year. We had the only coed team there and there are usually 5-6.

Tell them to try it on a Sunday next year and they'll have at least one more. I am always looking for Sunday endurance events. I am sure others, who work on Saturdays, are as well.
Robert
Hammer Head

Postby grog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Robert wrote:

Tell them to try it on a Sunday next year and they'll have at least one more. I am always looking for Sunday endurance events. I am sure others, who work on Saturdays, are as well.

I understand what you're saying. But two factors . . .

1) For every racer who can't do a Saturday due to work but can do Sunday, there's a racer that can't do Sunday due to church. Definitely a (no pun intended) damned if you do, damned if you don't issue for them.

2) Their drive back to Ocala . . . I'd imagine that they like to have Sunday to get back home and start prepping for the following weekend.

Honestly, I don't think it's a Saturday/Sunday issue for the low turnout. Their Tsali, Santos and other 12 hours seem to do very well.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby Sadlebred » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 pm

They were up against several cross races on Sunday as well as the Lula Lake Land Trust 50. Some people are also simply burned out this late in the year. The Bergers always put on a quality event.
http://www.sadlebred.com (of course!)
http://www.southeasterncycling.com All you need for the Georgia Cycling and Racing Scene!
Sadlebred
Rock Hopper

Postby wrxbiker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:52 pm

grog wrote:

I hate that but had a feeling that would be the case. Attendance has been steadily dropping for a while now. I hope that if they determine it's not feasible to continue doing it long term, they at least have a final one next year.

You were doing it with your daughter and her two grandpas, right? How'd that go? Everyone enjoy?

Yes! One of the grandfathers dropped out but we had a Tucker ride with us instead. :) Everyone did great and had a great time, finishing 13 laps. Madison (daughter) was able to ride with her grandmother (Anne) who was a last-minute entry into the 6-hour solo class. Madison had a great time and rode the lap in 1:16, which I think is pretty good for a 10-year old. We ended up getting 1st in the coed class, but it was by default since we were the only ones in the class. Anne ended up riding two laps and getting 2nd in her class, again by default with only one other competitor.

All that said, none of this stopped Madison from having the biggest smile ever when walking away with a big-ass trophy.

Still, I long for the days when there were fewer races to choose from - when the turnout and competition was amazing.
wrxbiker
Rock Hopper

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:00 am

grog wrote:
Robert wrote:

I understand what you're saying. But two factors . . .

1) For every racer who can't do a Saturday due to work but can do Sunday, there's a racer that can't do Sunday due to church. Definitely a (no pun intended) damned if you do, damned if you don't issue for them.

2) Their drive back to Ocala . . . I'd imagine that they like to have Sunday to get back home and start prepping for the following weekend.

Honestly, I don't think it's a Saturday/Sunday issue for the low turnout. Their Tsali, Santos and other 12 hours seem to do very well.

I understand the Saturday race reasoning. Sunday races that sold out. Ouchita, ORAMM, Shenandoah 100, Black Bear Rampage, and the list could continue. Most people doing these races live within 2 hours of the venue. I have traveled over twice that far and made it back that evening and was at work on Monday. And most mountain bikers would miss one day in the pew for a race. My 2 cents. How long does it take to prep for a race? It takes me about an hour to pack and be ready.
Robert
Hammer Head

Postby wrxbiker » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 am

One thing to remember with a 12-hour race is they don't typically end until 9 or 10 pm. If you're like us, you're showing up the night before and bringing a ton of camping stuff, canopies, and stuff to entertain kids while you're there. Between packing, driving home, unpacking, and getting ready for school and work the next day, it quickly becomes unreasonable to participate in this type of race on a Sunday.
wrxbiker
Rock Hopper

Postby Ga_Kush » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:24 am

Only 5 people in the 12 Hour Solo Open! I came in last place as usual. The Course was FAST and FUN! only bout 7.5 miles long. I had a great Time and felt good the whole way.
:D
12hr Teams #podium #12hr Dauset #MTB race Jackson, GA #goneriding by GeorgiaMTB,

:!:
Ga_Kush
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 am

Robert wrote:I understand the Saturday race reasoning. Sunday races that sold out. Ouchita, ORAMM, Shenandoah 100, Black Bear Rampage, and the list could continue. Most people doing these races live within 2 hours of the venue. I have traveled over twice that far and made it back that evening and was at work on Monday. And most mountain bikers would miss one day in the pew for a race. My 2 cents. How long does it take to prep for a race? It takes me about an hour to pack and be ready.

Are you saying you DO understand the Saturday reasoning or you DON'T? The races you named . . . without knocking Gone Riding, those carry a little more prestige and have much more marketing than GR's events, therefore - at least in my opinion - are a little more likely to sell out. And either I didn't explain very well or you misunderstood - my comment re: the drive back to Ocala was referring to Gone Riding, not the racers. It's not a matter of just tossing a few pieces of gear in a bag, heading to the site and tossing up an EZUp. For the 12 hour races (at least Dauset - the one I'm most familiar with) they get to the site either late Thu night/early Fri morning to begin marking the course and setting up their trailer and transition area. If they're lucky, they've got the course marked and the trailer set up by Friday late afternoon and can grab dinner before prepping for registration. They're usually back on site before the sun comes up for final course touches and registration. Work the race all day Saturday before getting back to the hotel after midnight (at the earliest). Then tear down Sunday and drive back to Ocala. I don't even know if Dauset would allow them to carry over into Monday any of the tear down (meaning it's not out of the realm of possibility that Dauset wants them fully out and gone by Sunday afternoon).

Like I said, not a matter of only taking an hour to get ready.

As for the RIDERS and Sunday . . . I think you're mistaken about how many would miss a day in the pew for a race. If you look at all mountain bikers - those that go to church and those that don't - yeah, there's probably a high ratio that will miss a day at church, consisting mostly of those that don't go or don't go regularly. Look at only the church going riders, that number - I feel certain - will be far smaller.

Again, church, work, whatever - I don't think the turnout issue at Dauset is related to Saturday or Sunday. Likely Sadlebred is on the right track with burn out and getting into cross season.

Also, wrx nailed it re: why a 12 hour on a Saturday makes more sense. While I get that, for you, it's just a matter of getting a few things together, there are those of us that make a full scale weekend production out of it (it was an annual 3 day vacation for me) complete with camping and great times with friends. Add in kids, prepping for them and entertaining them, not being done until 10.00p at the earliest . . . just saying that just as there is a segment that can't make Saturday races due to work, there's a segment that can't make Sunday 12 hours due to family.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby joelfehrman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Sadlebred wrote:They were up against several cross races on Sunday as well as the Lula Lake Land Trust 50.

True. The Five Points 50 had about 130 riders on Saturday.
joelfehrman
Rock Hopper

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:26 am

Points well taken but I do feel this way if it were my business. If the turnouts continue to be low, then I would cancel the race. They do this for a living and if the people don't show, then, well, if were your business, what would you do? And the only marketing I see for those races, I mentioned, are their websites. Maybe they should go with a 6 and 9 or just an 8 hour format as that will attract more riders who feel they can solo that but not a 12 hour event. And I will bet you that most people who ride the race spend Sunday driving back and not in the pew. I don't have a family so I bow to your knowledge on that one. :)

And could you please explain burnout to me? I have never felt burned out on riding my bike. I race just enough, maybe 6 to 7 times per year, to have some goals and I am excited when I go to a race. I can see burnout on a job because we have to work. However,we choose to ride a bike. This has always been puzzling to me and I hear that word a lot.
Robert
Hammer Head

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:48 am

Robert
Hammer Head

Next

Return to Racing