12 Hours of Dauset recap

Athletes: discuss racing, series, nutrition & training tips.

Re: 12 Hours of Dauset recap

Postby psychobillycadillac » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:14 am

Robert wrote:Points well taken but I do feel this way if it were my business. If the turnouts continue to be low, then I would cancel the race. They do this for a living and if the people don't show, then, well, if were your business, what would you do? And the only marketing I see for those races, I mentioned, are their websites. Maybe they should go with a 6 and 9 or just an 8 hour format as that will attract more riders who feel they can solo that but not a 12 hour event. And I will bet you that most people who ride the race spend Sunday driving back and not in the pew. I don't have a family so I bow to your knowledge on that one. :)

And could you please explain burnout to me? I have never felt burned out on riding my bike. I race just enough, maybe 6 to 7 times per year, to have some goals and I am excited when I go to a race. I can see burnout on a job because we have to work. However,we choose to ride a bike. This has always been puzzling to me and I hear that word a lot.

I can't speak to your first point but to your second on "burnout" I offer you this. I raced and trained for several years, during that time I found myself riding/training/racing my bike upwards of 20 + hours a week. I did this for multiple years and after a while it felt more like a job than something I did for fun. 30 degrees and raining? Gotta ride b/c coach told me today I needed to spend 2 hours in zone 3. Friends heading to the beach for a quick vacation? Sorry I can't go, my current plan calls for me to spend 6 hours on the bike on Saturday and it needs to be on hilly terrain to focus on my climbing. Mix that in with, I can't go full out on todays ride b/c I need to keep my heart rate at a steady 145 bpm and then I can't grab mexican food w/ you guys b/c I'm trying to get down to a lower race weight..... After a while I came to my senses and realized I had made my hobby my lifestyle and had taken all the fun out of it. Every time I got on my bike there just wasn't any joy in it and it was all I could to do to stay motivated to finish a ride. I talked it over with a friend of mine who has been riding and racing much longer than me and Hodge said, "dude you're burned out, go home and hang your bike up and don't even look at it for a month." Of course I didn't listen and spent the next year angry and miserable that I wasn't enjoying riding and being on my bike became a point of stress for me. Finally I did put the bike down and spent some time away doing other things and low and behold I actually enjoyed riding when I finally did come back to it a few months later.
psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 am

psychobillycadillac wrote:I can't speak to your first point but to your second on "burnout" I offer you this. I raced and trained for several years, during that time I found myself riding/training/racing my bike upwards of 20 + hours a week. I did this for multiple years and after a while it felt more like a job than something I did for fun. 30 degrees and raining? Gotta ride b/c coach told me today I needed to spend 2 hours in zone 3. Friends heading to the beach for a quick vacation? Sorry I can't go, my current plan calls for me to spend 6 hours on the bike on Saturday and it needs to be on hilly terrain to focus on my climbing. Mix that in with, I can't go full out on todays ride b/c I need to keep my heart rate at a steady 145 bpm and then I can't grab mexican food w/ you guys b/c I'm trying to get down to a lower race weight..... After a while I came to my senses and realized I had made my hobby my lifestyle and had taken all the fun out of it. Every time I got on my bike there just wasn't any joy in it and it was all I could to do to stay motivated to finish a ride. I talked it over with a friend of mine who has been riding and racing much longer than me and Hodge said, "dude you're burned out, go home and hang your bike up and don't even look at it for a month." Of course I didn't listen and spent the next year angry and miserable that I wasn't enjoying riding and being on my bike became a point of stress for me. Finally I did put the bike down and spent some time away doing other things and low and behold I actually enjoyed riding when I finally did come back to it a few months later.

PBC nailed it. There can be a fine line between "hobby" and "obsession" . . . how about a food analogy? I like Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal for breakfast. Will buy multiple boxes where they're on sale. But after eating it a month straight, just the thought will turn my stomach - hence I get burned out on it. Yes, we DO choose to ride. But - at least for some of us - we get so wrapped up it becomes a chore. Like I said, he nailed the description . . .

As for the Sunday comments . . . we'll have to agree to disagree as either you refuse to see my point or simply don't get it (and you could likely be saying the exact same about me). Bottom line is that I hope they have at least one more 12 hour there.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:07 pm

And I ride about 15 hours per week so explain the burnout thing to me again. Usually burnout is caused by over-racing and not riding easy on what are supposed to be easy days. Solution, don't over-race. I love the competition and when I race, I race so I want to recover after that before doing it to myself again. My daily ride is just like brushing my teeth. I look forward to how it feels after and I enjoy being on my bike. I have easy and hard days and I love riding year round. Like I said, it is something we choose to do so I cannot see the burnout issue. If you scheduled for a 2 hour ride and can tell it isn't there, cut it short. I also mix my riding up as much as I can. Gravel, road, single track but never just one for long periods of time.
Robert
Hammer Head

Postby grog » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 am

Robert wrote:And I ride about 15 hours per week so explain the burnout thing to me again. Usually burnout is caused by over-racing and not riding easy on what are supposed to be easy days. Solution, don't over-race. I love the competition and when I race, I race so I want to recover after that before doing it to myself again. My daily ride is just like brushing my teeth. I look forward to how it feels after and I enjoy being on my bike. I have easy and hard days and I love riding year round. Like I said, it is something we choose to do so I cannot see the burnout issue. If you scheduled for a 2 hour ride and can tell it isn't there, cut it short. I also mix my riding up as much as I can. Gravel, road, single track but never just one for long periods of time.

To continue arguing this is no better than banging a head against a wall. Just because you haven't burned out on biking doesn't mean that it doesn't happen to others - sometimes multiple times over the course of their biking life. Really, just another case where we'll have to agree to disagree.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby psychobillycadillac » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:00 am

If you "don't get it" then I'm not really sure what to tell you Robert, I'm not really here to give you a if you do this then burnout will result type answer, just relay what my experience has been. The very definition of the term is to tire of something or lose interest, I can tell you that "over racing" wasn't the reason as I enjoyed to race. What you describe when you say "Usually burnout is caused by over-racing and not riding easy on what are supposed to be easy days" is more so to me a description of "over training" and while I've been guilty of this at the time of the experience I described this was definitely not the case as I tracked rides both training and fun, races, meals, daily bp readings and met with my coach to look over data frequently, over training was something we kept an eye out for a lot. My training was different every day, road, trail, sprint intervals, climbing work, speed work, gym and weight training and please don't imply that I was foolish or uneducated enough not to realize when I was having a day when it "wasn't there". Everyone has those days and what makes the difference is being able to adapt and overcome them.
I think Grog's description of eating the same thing over and over for a month is a pretty spot on description, maybe you've heard the saying "too much of a good thing can be a bad thing"? I don't know anything about you, your goals, your personal or professional life etc,. and I'm not saying that what has happened to me and others will happen to you. I only shared my experience because you asked for someone to share theirs. People change, things in peoples lives change, people get married, have kids, take on new and more demanding jobs, discover a hobby they like more, all of these can and do happen.
psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Postby Robert » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Well said and I understand that everyone is different. Thanks for posting.
Robert
Hammer Head

Previous

Return to Racing