3k to spend on a full suspension bike

New to the sport? New to the forum? Post here and We'll help you out.

Re: 3k to spend on a full suspension bike

Postby trhoppe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 am

<insert comment about the bike I own being the best bike on the planet and the one you should buy>
trhoppe
Rock Hopper

Postby regularjoe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Giant is one of the best out there when it comes to bang for the buck. To that end, I'd take a good look at the Trance X 29er. It's a really nice all-around bike. Climbs well enough to do some racing on and super capable on the descents...
regularjoe
Rock Hopper

Postby slowwrx » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:10 pm

trhoppe wrote:<insert comment about the bike I own being the best bike on the planet and the one you should buy>

Yeah what Tom said.

You are about to spend a lot of money on a bike. Before I bought my SB-66 I rode a lot of bikes, I suggest you do the same.
slowwrx
Dirt Dawg

Postby trhoppe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Yea, you are in the "demo all the bikes and don't buy before you ride" price range for sure.

$1500 = stuff is all the same at this price point

$3000 = suspension design and feel to you can really drive your purchase because the dangly bits on the bike will essentially be the same at this price point

-Tom
trhoppe
Rock Hopper

Postby psychobillycadillac » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:14 pm

How much for jes one rib?

psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Postby jonesy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 pm

slowwrx wrote:
trhoppe wrote:<insert comment about the bike I own being the best bike on the planet and the one you should buy>

Yeah what Tom said.

You are about to spend a lot of money on a bike. Before I bought my SB-66 I rode a lot of bikes, I suggest you do the same.

Sound advise, I did not know that I could demo a bike. (besides riding it around the LBS parking lot)
jonesy
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby trhoppe » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 pm

The good shops will late you take one of the demos on the local trail. You'll pay a few bucks, but if you buy the bike, you can apply to purchase.

There are also plenty of demos around the area where Trek/Niner/Cannondale/etc or local shops hold demo days on local trails.
trhoppe
Rock Hopper

Postby jonesy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:55 pm

After much research, I have it narrowed down to 3 specific bikes,
1. Stump jumper FSR comp 29
2. Stump jumper FSR comp EVO 29
3. Santa Cruz Tallboy LT R AM
Now the stumpy's come with Avid brakes, which I have heard not so good things about, any other opinions on the Avid 5's?
Also, I noticed on the stumpy's, the cable routing goes right next to the crank set and hangs down under the main frame a good bit, anyone have any trouble damaging cables? The ones on display at Out Spokin hang down under the bike 2-3 inches. Seems like they would snag. The command post is cool on the Evo, but I'm not sure how much I would use it, I do like the fact that if I want to do some down hill, the Evo's angles are better for that than the regular fsr comp.

Ok, now on to the Tallboy, I like this bike with the SLx/XT "dangly bits" and the 2014s are coming out now so smoking deals are to be had on the 13's. The only thing (which may not be important) is the 5 year frame warranty vs the Specialized lifetime frame warranty. All three bikes feel good when I throw my leg over, haven't demo'd anything due to the monsoon season we've been having though. I guess I may just have to pull the trigger on one, and quit worrying about the small differences, all I wanna do is ride!
jonesy
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby bikephan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 pm

double check yourself, I am pretty sure that spec only does 2 to 5 years on the rear swing arm. I will also say, living in rocky fruita and being only 1.5 hours from moab, I have had one SC tallboy cracked rear swing arm that was not warranty(2 total, one damaged in shipping). I have only had one cracked front triangle and it was warranty.

With my experience with specialized, I hate their cable routing. Plan on replacing it fairly often. Also there are much better dropper post out there aftermarket over the command post.

I would ride the tallboy in GA, and the LT here. The model you are looking at is the model we rent through the shop because they are durable.

Also, on a side note, SC does not do year models, they do revisions. The tallboy 1.0 and 2.0 are very similar. They big issue I had with the original tallboy was bb height but that is not really and issue in the Southeast.
Last edited by bikephan on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby jonesy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:35 pm

The lifetime warranty is on the from triangle only from Specialized, 3yrs on the rear. I spoke with Freeflite, and this years models are discounted 10% starting next week. As far as the by height, I think it is higher on the LT than on just the regular TB(could be wrong). I really like SC's cable routing too.
jonesy
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby jonesy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Damn autocorrect
jonesy
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby bikephan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:28 pm

jonesy wrote:The lifetime warranty is on the from triangle only from Specialized, 3yrs on the rear. I spoke with Freeflite, and this years models are discounted 10% starting next week. As far as the by height, I think it is higher on the LT than on just the regular TB(could be wrong). I really like SC's cable routing too.

yes the LT has a higher bb which makes a difference if you live in rocky mountains etc. For around GA you would be fine with the Tallboy. 5 year warranty on full carbon frame, not just 3 on rear swing arms. I would still ride a tallboy over the specy.
WTF.
bikephan
Rock Hopper

Postby jonesy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:42 pm

Ah, Carbon frames are different I'm sure, the lifetime is on the aluminum grams which is what I am looking to buy. With the discount on the year end close out I am thinking ordering the SC and upgrading the sector fork right off the bat to a Fox 34 with the ctd feature
jonesy
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby jonesy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Well I finally pulled the trigger, I rode a couple of different bikes, and after I threw my leg over this one, I knew t was the one for me.
2013 Specialized stumpy Evo.
Got it from Epic Bikes down in McDonough, great bike shop if you are in the area! They gave me $400 off of retail and gave me a trade in value of $560 on my old Trek Mamba hardtail. Out the door for a little under $2500, plus they threw in a few goodies, and a cold beer :beerbang:

After having it for a couple of weeks, I can honestly say I chose the right one for me!
jonesy
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby gexas » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:20 am

good job man. what a great looking bike too. it is too clean right now but i'm sure with all the rain we've had and a little time it will be good and muddy...the best color of a bike imho.

see you on the trails.

E
gexas
Dirt Dawg

Previous

Return to Fresh Tracks