New to the forum, one season in on the MTB'ing

New to the sport? New to the forum? Post here and We'll help you out.

New to the forum, one season in on the MTB'ing

Postby cmags » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Hey guys (and gals I hope - this is a sport for everyone), the name's Chris and I just got into mountain biking this past summer. I've been riding recreationally since before I could remember, and was on a bike all summer every summer as a kid through college. Dabbled in taking said bikes on dirt roads and trails at camps and such but never really got into single track trail riding until now.

I picked up a 2001 Raleigh M80 hardtail with a Judy TT fork and mech discs to replace my aging Mongoose D-60 (full suspension, but recreational design - pre Walmart Mongoose, but still not quite up to snuff). Rode the hell out of it these past few months at Blankets, Mt. Tabor, and this past Nov up on Pinhoti 2 and 3. Fun stuff. This week I'm tearing it down and building up a '99 Klein Mantra frame and Rock Shox SID dual air fork I got of craigslist for dirt cheap and will try out a proper FS bike for the first time.

I'm over in Marietta, near the Powder Springs line so I frequent Mt. Tabor, and if Treadmill ever opens back up will be over there too. Also hit the Comet with my wife and 2 y/o son pretty often during fair weather as well. If anyone around here ever wants a riding buddy over at Mt. Tabor sometime shoot me a message!

Oh yea, I'm planning to hit up the Blankets work party this weekend too. See you around!

My Rides:
Trail: '99 Klein Mantra, SID fork, RP3 shock, XT mechs, Hayes hydros, WTB Speeddisc wheelset
Runabout: '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Manitou SXe fork, STX mechs, Alvio brakes, Bontrager Convair wheelset
cmags
Hammer Head

Re: New to the forum, one season in on the MTB'ing

Postby gmm » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum and the addiction to singletrack goodness!

Look forward to meeting you at the work party Saturday. :cheers:
Trail Director - Blankets Creek
SORBA Woodstock
gmm
Rock Hopper

Postby MrUnderhill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:14 am

i see you already recieved the memo about "new guy brings the beer" :thumbup:

Good on ya and welcome!
when they kick in your front door
how you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
MrUnderhill
Rock Hopper

Postby AirborneGuy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:18 am

Welcome! I kind of have an addiction to Klein's.....haha
AirborneGuy
Rock Hopper

Postby cmags » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:10 am

MrUnderhill wrote:i see you already recieved the memo about "new guy brings the beer" :thumbup:

Good on ya and welcome!

Yea, for a while I rode with a CamelBak Cloud Walker (a hiking day pack of mine that was the only hydration pack I had), so with the available volume, I was the beer carrier of the group.

AirborneGuy wrote:Welcome! I kind of have an addiction to Klein's.....haha

Cool, the brand, and especially the Mantra, seem to have a cult following from what I've seen on the forums. People either love 'em or hate 'em. Do you have a Mantra in the stable? Any advise on setup? I've heard that this particular pivot design can be a little unforgiving on the rebound and tries to throw you if not set up right or the rider's not riding it right. Hopefully the 18" frame isn't too big for me - I'm afraid it might be. But then if so I'll just re-assemble the M80 and sell off the Mantra frame to finance another FS frame or an upgrade for the hardtail. :rock:
My Rides:
Trail: '99 Klein Mantra, SID fork, RP3 shock, XT mechs, Hayes hydros, WTB Speeddisc wheelset
Runabout: '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Manitou SXe fork, STX mechs, Alvio brakes, Bontrager Convair wheelset
cmags
Hammer Head

Postby AirborneGuy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:48 am

Yup, I have a 97 Mantra Comp (Yellow and black). I'll admit, there have been some sketchy times riding it, but it was still a joy to ride. People seem to think the best rear shock for it is a cane creek cloud 9. One day I will have one on mine, haha. How tall are you? One thing I've noticed about the Mantra is that it seems fairly easy to set up just about any size frame to be comfortable. I'm around 5'10"-11" and have a medium frame, but I've also ridden a large and was fine on it. I had a 97 Pulse Pro that was stolen from my house back in 2006. After that, my addiction really kicked in and I was trying to get ahold of any that I could get my hands on, ha. I guess it wasn't that crazy though b/c I've never really had much money. I now have a 97 Pulse Pro that is brand new in the box. I got it in honor of the one that I had stolen. I also have a 2005 Attitude XX which I actually just built up again for racing this season. I have it posted here: http://sorba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41402 Anyway, the Mantra should be a good build for you. And it attracts a lot of attention!
AirborneGuy
Rock Hopper

Postby cmags » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:10 am

AirborneGuy wrote:Yup, I have a 97 Mantra Comp (Yellow and black). I'll admit, there have been some sketchy times riding it, but it was still a joy to ride. People seem to think the best rear shock for it is a cane creek cloud 9. One day I will have one on mine, haha. How tall are you? One thing I've noticed about the Mantra is that it seems fairly easy to set up just about any size frame to be comfortable. I'm around 5'10"-11" and have a medium frame, but I've also ridden a large and was fine on it. I had a 97 Pulse Pro that was stolen from my house back in 2006. After that, my addiction really kicked in and I was trying to get ahold of any that I could get my hands on, ha. I guess it wasn't that crazy though b/c I've never really had much money. I now have a 97 Pulse Pro that is brand new in the box. I got it in honor of the one that I had stolen. I also have a 2005 Attitude XX which I actually just built up again for racing this season. I have it posted here: http://sorba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=41402 Anyway, the Mantra should be a good build for you. And it attracts a lot of attention!

Cool, we'll have to get the Mantras together for a ride some time. I'm a beginner for sure, not too quick either but I have fun and push to get better. At Blankets, I've only done Dwelling, but after surviving Pinhoti, I'm going to try out the South Loop next time.

I'm 5'8" and currently ride a 16" M80, so that's why I'm worried the 18" is gonna be too big. I'm gonna try it out though, and if its too long toss on a shorter stem (currently have a high angle 120mm on my M80) I still have the stock Fox Float on the frame and the previous owner reported that it still holds air well, though he had to top it off every few hard rides. I've got a pump so I'll keep an eye on it and look into a rebuild later on. I've got my front SID fork set low at 70lbs top and bottom (I'm a lightweight at 145lb) so I'm guessing I want the rear shock low as well, maybe around 130? I'm wide open to advice in this area as air shocks are *brand new* to me.
My Rides:
cmags
Hammer Head

Postby cmags » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:15 pm

Finished building my new rig:

My Rides:
cmags
Hammer Head

Postby slowwrx » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:54 pm

CMags, do you drive a Subaru Outback by chance?
slowwrx
Dirt Dawg

Postby cmags » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 pm

Outback Sport, and yes I'm on wrxatlanta. I thought I recognized the name. Matt right? I just saw the MTB thread over on wrxatl. May have to join you for a ride sometime, Sope was my first foray into singletrack.
My Rides:
cmags
Hammer Head

Postby slowwrx » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Yeah man, PM me your facebook and Ill add you to the group
slowwrx
Dirt Dawg

Postby chocolate7 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 am

Yea, for a while I rode with a CamelBak Cloud Walker (a hiking day pack of mine that was the only hydration pack I had), so with the available volume, I was the beer carrier of the group.
chocolate7
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby BobbyHiggins » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:44 pm

The Mantra looks choice. Wish I had not opened this thread. Makes me miss my Klein Adept.
BobbyHiggins
Rock Hopper

Return to Fresh Tracks