Are there active members in Columbus/Chattahoochee area?

This chapter is covering LaGrange and Columbus Georgia to Auburn and Opelika Alabama, located in the Chattahoochee Valley Area and will go by CVA-SORBA.

Are there active members in Columbus/Chattahoochee area?

Postby Fa8tal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:29 pm

The move from Fort Knox, KY to Fort Benning, (Columbus) GA has been delayed, (Army BRAC) but I WILL still be moving to the area when they tell me to.

I noticed that there is not any posts for this area, anyone able to help me out?

I had planned to move from one active area, and step into another one.
Fa8tal
Stump Jumper

Re: Are there active members in Columbus/Chattahoochee area?

Postby kpvsr » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 pm

Our group is fairly new and we are just getting rolling with things. Since this forum was just added yesterday I have not yet had a chance to notify our members of its existence so no activity. I still need to get a sticky welcome note added as well. We have a big trail project going on in West Point by the dam and there are some local Columbus trails that we may partner with or possibly take over, some things need to be worked out yet.
More active members is what we really need so once you are in the area let us know. From what some of our members from that area have told me there is a good bit of enthusiastic bikers at Fort Benning. Thanks for your interest and all that you do.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby Fa8tal » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:03 am

Outstanding! I didn't know this area was recently added to the web site. I'm still getting used to the site format, and visit here every now and again.

The Army BRAC (Base Re-allignment, and Closure) program will move Ft. Knox to Ft. Benning some time between now and 2010. It all depends on who you talk to as to when this will happen.

The Army (active and civilian) has a decent biking community, more on the road than off, but there are a few of us that hit more than miss trail work days, and actively race in the State MTB championship.

The weather there is better in the winter than it is here, I have very little trail time unless the ground is frozen hard, mostly it has been freeze/thaw with more mud than frozen trail. (In other words, I spend most of time on a trainer)

I'll try to keep in touch, and pass any word on dates etc. and look forward to new trails and friends!
Fa8tal
Stump Jumper

Postby Fa8tal » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:49 am

I wanted to give a short up-date on the BRAC, looks like I will be moving to the Columbus area this June (2010), most of the people here at Ft. Knox will start moving as early as Feb. and all that are going have to be there before Sept. 2011.

I have been to the area a couple times now (w/out the bike) looking at the housing market, and so far, the area north of Columbus look the most promising. Any help out there for where to look, or even where NOT to look would be helpful.

We would like like the normal stuff; good schools, clean/nice community, not too far from Ft. Benning, and close to some trails (next door is fine) :-)

I have a XC race, AM, and big hit bike, so anything off the road works for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Fa8tal
Stump Jumper

Postby 1967sschevelle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:06 pm

hi stryker. there are some trails in columbus/phenix city. short list here with a brief description: you may want to further research mtbreview.com....
trail of tears: in phenix city al. somewhat incognito. this trail has been around for almost 20 years now. it is very technical - no machine built tred. go to ride on bike shop (byron) and ask for the local mountain bikers - they can hook you up with us (matt, kevin or mike). you almost need a guide since it is unmapped.
flat rock park: in columbus. in public park. no machine built tred but very popular and is fast and easy except for a couple of sections.
lakeside trail: in west point ga. (about 40 minutes from columbus). very good mostly machine built trail. this is our local sorba-cva trail built on picturesque west point lake. definately a "gp" (general public) trail and not too technical. ideal facilities on site.
bartram trail: 45 minutes from phenix city. nice out and back system.
ghost town trail: in salem al. about 30 minutes from columbus. I am the builder of this trail system. no machine built tred. tight and techincal. opens feb-1 to nov-1 each year. closed for deer hunting.
hope this helps....ride on !!!....kevin
1967sschevelle
Mountain Biker

Postby Fa8tal » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Kevin,
Thank you for the information, I have seen a few of these places, but there are others you added I have not heard or seen before.
Not sure now if I will try to get a house in GA or hop over to AL, I will make contact once I am settled in and ready to get the bike back on the trails.

On another note, is there FR or DH in the area?

I would also be interested in any DJs in the area. I had my own pump track in the back yard, and may build another there if I have a little property with the new house.

Looking forward to ride in GA again, it has been 7 yrs since I lived there.
Thanks,
Smitty
Fa8tal
Stump Jumper

Postby kpvsr » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:57 pm

Technically West Point only has about two of eight miles that are machine cut.

Kevin, any chance of getting Ghost Town opened a day or two early? With people riding at West Point when it been wet and soft it really needs a good drying out before it should be ridden again. Wish folks would realize their fun is ruining parts of the trail. I meet with the Corps tomorrow to discuss options for officially being able to close the trail. Hopefully that will help. I also have some signs to put up on the kiosks and taped off the entrance this afternoon. Orange flagging tape doesn't look too good across the trail-head, not sure if the Corps will be good with that.

Smitty, from what I have heard you'd probably be better off living on the AL side of the line. With your experience with the backyard pump track in time I may seek you out to help build some DJs up in West Point if the Corps grants permission and we can get it funded.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby Fa8tal » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:22 am

KPVSR, sounds like fun, I have most of the tools for a pump track, would just need dirt and manpower.

As for the DJs, power equipment is needed for jumps that can be abused and remain on the safer side. The bigger DH jumps we build here are log piles covered with dirt. They work well but need to be re-built once the logs start to rot. They can be a hazard to people without experience, and on the wrong kind of bike.

I would suggest table tops for open access areas that start off small and work up to bigger jumps, this pays off for people starting out (learning jumps) but will also keep the big air people happy.

I would be glad to work with you on the plans, construction and maintenance of a project like this, IMBA and other groups have plans that can be a starting point, but also explain how to keep growth potential in a multi-year project.

Areas like Brown County State park (IN) developed a meca for the MTB and multi-purpose riders, they had pro trail builders come in for the tough areas and local clubs worked the "other" areas for A-class trails, they start out with beginner trails, then advance to expert trails miles from the trail head, they incorporated new ideas like the 2 mile pump track at the end of the one of the runs, think fast flow with-out pedaling. it is a blast!

Can't wait to get down there and get to work.
Fa8tal
Stump Jumper

Postby 1967sschevelle » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:06 pm

ghost town is now open and all clear. we have figured out the best way to ride it. go dang slow until you get to the downhills. that way it doesnt beat you up so bad. it is still a technical trail but we shorted it up this year by 1.2 miles (9.2 total now) and it makes a huge difference. plan to put in a parking area this year and some signage. it needs some serious root removal and traffic to be top notch.

stryker - you need to go to ride on bike shop in columbus and get permit from the owner to access his "ewok village" out in ellerslie. also look up paul luker (the builder/fr guru) to show you around. it is all about the freeride so bring your you-know-whats if you plan to hang with the dude.....
1967sschevelle
Mountain Biker

Return to Chattahoochee Valley Area SORBA