Trail Information

This chapter is covering LaGrange and Columbus Georgia to Auburn and Opelika Alabama, located in the Chattahoochee Valley Area and will go by CVA-SORBA.

Trail Information

Postby cfernan62 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Hello,

A few of us from Dalton are heading down for Wheels of Fire. I was wondering if you had some
information on the trail at West Point. My brother lives in Langdale. He mentioned where is
starts, but I would like more info ( distance, maybe description, directions, etc. ) to pass to our
group.

Thanks,

Conrad
NWGA SORBA
cfernan62
Rock Hopper

Re: Trail Information

Postby kpvsr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Here is a motionbased page with what is basically rideable at West Point Dam. You can also get directions from the motionbased page. http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5040067 There is a little lag in the mileage as I stopped to remove a fallen branch and forgot to restart the Garmin. The start shown is not the official trailhead but it gives the best start location for the out and back that the trail currently is. When do you think you'll be checking it out? I may be able to guide you since nothing is marked yet and a couple spots may be iffy to navigate. I am also doing the Wheels O' Fire. Also keep in mind the first 2.4 miles is focused on beginner and advanced beginner and is basically finished, the rest is mostly rake-n-ride single track with no tread work done yet. The most you have to watch for is a few dips may be a little more abrupt than they appear.

There is also Pyne Road Park http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1896816 closer to LaGrange. Doing that trail one way then the opposite can give you between 7-8 miles. The route shown cuts it a little shorter than that. Since last fall more and more equestrians have come to these trails as they were kicked out of the other side of the park so there is some piles to go around or bunny hop. This trail is five minutes from my house so it is usually the one I go to the most. That is until West Point is finished.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby jmilliron » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:17 pm

kpvsr wrote:http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5040067

You can also go south down the power line and add a few miles, right? I did a mini AR down there fall of last year and thought it was a fun trail.
jmilliron
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 pm

jmilliron wrote:
kpvsr wrote:http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5040067

You can also go south down the power line and add a few miles, right? I did a mini AR down there fall of last year and thought it was a fun trail.

Technically some of the power line crosses private property. I've been told an occasional ride through probably wouldn't be a big deal but not to over do it. We don't want to jeapordize access for the adventure race coming up in Sept. Most of of the land owners have already given approval for this years race but not all yet.
I hope to get much more trail available on the Corp. property for this years race and if you did it last year then you more than likely rode some of the advanced beginner section that runs along side the lake.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby jmilliron » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:02 pm

Yeah, we did the "Adventure Jam at West Point Dam" last year. It was a lot of fun.
jmilliron
Rock Hopper

Postby cfernan62 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:05 am

Thanks fellas for the information. I have to play it by ear because I don't want to be rude and ignore
my relatives to go riding :lol: . I'll pass this info to our other members going to Wheels of Fire.

Thanks again.

Conrad
NWGA SORBA
cfernan62
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Glad to help. If you or anyone else in your group does go I would appreciate any input good or bad on the layout so far. We got miles and miles to go so constructive feedback in this stage would be great.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Return to Chattahoochee Valley Area SORBA