Trail Map for Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam & Directions

This chapter is covering LaGrange and Columbus Georgia to Auburn and Opelika Alabama, located in the Chattahoochee Valley Area and will go by CVA-SORBA.

Trail Map for Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam & Directions

Postby kpvsr » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:59 am

Here is the latest map for the Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam in West Point - updated September,2012

Last edited by kpvsr on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Re: Current Trail Map for the West Point Dam Trail & Directions

Postby cfernan62 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:05 am

I stopped by West Point Lake ( Shaefer Heard Park ) to check out the trails built by the Chattahoocee Valley Area SORBA chapter.
The CVAS crew has done a awesome job on this trail. If you like mountain biking, road riding, hiking, camping and fishing, this is the place to go.
If you happen to work in the automotive industry, Kia Motors is just a hop away!!! Nice excursion if you have to travel on business down here.

My bike is still out of commission, so I went on a little hike. Here are some pictures -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfernan62/sets/72157607927389457/

This was one of my favorite fishing spots during my teen years when I lived in the area. Crappie use to love to spawn around the rocks.
I wish I had brought my fishing rod:

cfernan62
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Thanks Chris and Conrad.

Chris, it was nice meeting you and your son and I am thrilled you guys are enjoying the trails so much. With your son really enjoying the trails he needs to get his friends to come out and ride. It would be great to start seeing more of the areas youth getting hooked on mountain biking.

You took some great pictures of the area Conrad, I am glad you enjoyed yourself. Hopefully next time your down our way your bike will be ready to roll so you can get out on the intermediate trails. Your cheating yourself by being in the area and not riding what we got so far. If you ever need or want someone to ride with when your in town drop me a message and I'll do what I can to meet you.

The trail map shown above has been updated with the latest version.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby cfernan62 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks, Ken.

I'll be sure to bring my bike next time!
cfernan62
Rock Hopper

Re: Trail Map for Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam & Directions

Postby skinner » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:54 pm

have not been to the lake in a while, is there still a 3 dollar parking fee?
skinner
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby kpvsr » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:40 pm

skinner wrote:have not been to the lake in a while, is there still a 3 dollar parking fee?

Not for the parks these trails run through. The only thing that would require money would be staying in the campground.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby erk » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:01 am

Hi,
and many thanks for a very well maintained and nice trail. Have been looking for a place to bring my kids, and the Lakeside short trail turned out to be a perfect challenge.
Olof (8 yrs) and Anton (6 yrs) enjoyed it greatly and so did I!

I did not know about the trail until the guys at Golden Bike Shop mentioned it, and I found it online. The Trail Map etc convinced me to give it a try. Result? Yes, well worth the 35 minute drive from Auburn!

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

Erik

Here's Olof's blog about the trip
http://olofgoesworldwide.blogspot.com/
erk
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby kpvsr » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:21 pm

I am glad you and your kids enjoyed the trail Erik. In time I hope to make the beginners trail a loop instead of the out and back it currently is.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby funhog » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:18 pm

What is the common direction that the trails are normally ridden in? I was there a few weeks ago and will probably be back this week. I was trying to figure out which way CW, CCW would be best.
Don
funhog
Rock Hopper

Postby chet » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 pm

What is the name & contact number of the campground near the trails (so I can check on if they have a group campsite available)?

I work with a Boy Scout troop and I am looking for some Mtn bike trails (easy to intermediate) near a campground that has a primitive group site for the scouts to camp at. Some campgrounds have separate group areas as the regular campsites don't work well for 25 scouts and 6 adults.

These trails look nice, I need to get down that way and check them out.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever"
chet
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Don, the trail was laid out counterclockwise and think most start out going that way. I get about the same lap times no matter which way I go but think it is a little easier going clockwise. With the exception of having to climb suicide hill on the power line right of way. If I only do one lap I go counterclockwise When doing laps I alternate back and forth.

Chet, the campground is R. Shaefer Heard. Here is the Corps of Engineers Mobile Districts website for campgrounds. http://westpt.sam.usace.army.mil/WP/camping.htm You may also want to try the Resource Management Office for info as well 706.645.2937.

It looks like there is no primitive camping at R. Shaefer Heard. Your best bet is probably Holiday Park by the looks of it. If you do camp nearby there are some geocaches in and around the trails if the scouts you work with like do that.

R Shaefer Heard sites are typically reserved well in advance and all that is usually available is walk up sites.

There is also a Boy Scout camp on West Point Lake. It had some nice trails open to the public that have since been closed to the public. Not sure if the scouts keep them in shape or not.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby funhog » Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Rode the trails again tonight and had a blast. When I was there a month ago I missed the Hack trails and the older part of the island trail. WOW they were both fantastic. I parked in the lower parking lot where the island trail starts and went to the right. I went almost to the end of the intermediate trail and then turned around and came back. I hit the older part of the island trail at the end. After I got back to the car I decided to do the island trail again as a loop. FANTASTIC! Both of those section twist and turn all over the place. It was a big change from the metro trails I normally ride on.
Don
funhog
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Sat May 22, 2010 9:05 am

I think a lot of folks miss the Hack-n-Yack trail, we really need to get some signage out there. Glad you got to it, it is my favorite trail of the loop.

The island trail to the right were you started still needs some bench cutting to complete it. It is supposed to be an easier alternative to the left side (when riding ccw). However, if I procrastinate long enough maybe it will just get ridden in. :wink:

I typically park at the other trailhead and head ccw down the beginners section to warm up.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby funhog » Sat May 22, 2010 7:57 pm

kpvsr wrote:I think a lot of folks miss the Hack-n-Yack trail, we really need to get some signage out there. Glad you got to it, it is my favorite trail of the loop.

The island trail to the right were you started still needs some bench cutting to complete it. It is supposed to be an easier alternative to the left side (when riding ccw). However, if I procrastinate long enough maybe it will just get ridden in. :wink:

I typically park at the other trailhead and head ccw down the beginners section to warm up.

I missed the Hack last month when I was there. I was watching for it this time. It was a hoot. I'll agree on signage in that area also. When I did my loop back I had a little trouble figuring it out.

I'm not going to complain about the island trail on the right. I can't imagine trying to climb the first part of the left side.

I liked parking there near the dam and then reversing when I got to the beginners section. I may try the other parking lot next time though. I think that will be sometime next month.
Don
funhog
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Sun May 23, 2010 12:17 am

funhog wrote:I'm not going to complain about the island trail on the right. I can't imagine trying to climb the first part of the left side.

It's not as hard as it looks, a little bit of speed and up you go. If you made it through the opposite way you should have no problems.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Next

Return to Chattahoochee Valley Area SORBA