Trail Map for Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam & Directions

This chapter is covering LaGrange and Columbus Georgia to Auburn and Opelika Alabama, located in the Chattahoochee Valley Area and will go by CVA-SORBA.

Re: Trail Map for Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam & Directions

Postby Dirty Devin » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:15 pm

What is the address for this trail? Going to be in Columbus this week and want to check it out.
Dirty Devin
Dirt Dawg

Re: Trail Map for Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam & Directions

Postby kpvsr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Dirty Devin wrote:What is the address for this trail? Going to be in Columbus this week and want to check it out.

You're best off printing the written directions from Columbus at the beginning of this thread. There really is no good address I have found that works with a GPS or internet map services.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Re: Trail Map for Lakeside Trails at West Point Dam & Direct

Postby mbrentrowe » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks for posting the map online. I don't use it to bike but I do use it for hiking. It is some of my favorite hiking in the area. Love it.
mbrentrowe
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby kpvsr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Glad you enjoy it. A new map is in the works along with some intersection signs. It is slow going but we'll get there eventually.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby mbrentrowe » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Hey, just wanted to see if you were ever able to get an updated map online. Would be very helpful. I'm preparing for a bigger hike this spring and will be using the trails a lot in the next couple of months.
mbrentrowe
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby kpvsr » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:56 pm

It is close to being finished and I should have it complete in the next month or so. Given the time frame here one would think this map is going to be spectacular. I must however admit it is more a lack of time and dedication to getting it done. I just don't have good software to do it with so it gets frustrating wanting to put something out that looks good but lacking the tools to properly do it. We are slowly working on getting some intersection signs out on the trails as well.

I promise though I'll have something better for you before spring officially starts.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm

New map up on the first post.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Hanerj wrote:Thanks for the map, rode the trail for the second time today and it definitely helps. Let me know when/if you go out and start putting up more signage and if you need some more help. I am in the Lagrange area.

If you hook up with us on the facebook page all work days should get posted there. Chattahoochee Valley Area SORBA facebook page

Also all work days, group rides and other happenings get emailed to all IMBA/SORBA members in our chapter.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby mbrentrowe » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for the new map. I have hiked\ran most of the trail now. The lakeside course is perfect for easy trail running. I will try to get with you guys on facebook to help out with signage and work days. Thanks for all of your hard work!
mbrentrowe
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby kpvsr » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Glad your enjoying them. Signs should be coming soon. The design and layout has been approved by the Corps of Eng we're just waiting on supplies.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby itsfordanny » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Whats going on guys,

Im looking to go camping at R SHAEFER HEARD park during december and im thinking im going to use the opportunity to propose to my GF. The only problem is that im from miami and I havent been able to survey the park of the nearby trails to see what would be the best place to pop the question. After doing some searching online I came across this forum and it appears like you guys might have a lot of experience in this area.
Im wondering if the map on the first page is accurate and if so do you guys think that the trails are any good for hiking (main interest).
If the map is updated and you would suggest hiking through these trail do you guys have any specific spots you've seen that would be good to pop the question? Im looking for a high spot that might be over looking the water.

Let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this is kind of an odd request, I normally wouldn't reach out like this in some random forum but I really want this to be something special and I dont know where else to search since im so far away and cant actually visit these parks/trails.

Thanks,
Danny.
itsfordanny
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby kpvsr » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:51 pm

itsfordanny wrote:Whats going on guys,

Im looking to go camping at R SHAEFER HEARD park during december and im thinking im going to use the opportunity to propose to my GF. The only problem is that im from miami and I havent been able to survey the park of the nearby trails to see what would be the best place to pop the question. After doing some searching online I came across this forum and it appears like you guys might have a lot of experience in this area.
Im wondering if the map on the first page is accurate and if so do you guys think that the trails are any good for hiking (main interest).
If the map is updated and you would suggest hiking through these trail do you guys have any specific spots you've seen that would be good to pop the question? Im looking for a high spot that might be over looking the water.

Let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated. I know this is kind of an odd request, I normally wouldn't reach out like this in some random forum but I really want this to be something special and I dont know where else to search since im so far away and cant actually visit these parks/trails.

Thanks,
Danny.

Danny, sorry for not seeing this sooner the map is accurate and all the trails are easily hiked. There are two areas along the lake that may be a good place to pop the question. They are not high in elevation but offer great views of the lake. One place is a single sitting bench looking out over the lake and the other is a large deck overlooking the lake. Each can be accessed with an easy hike. The large deck can be accessed from the parking lot of the visitors center by a very short walk. If you want I wouldn't mind snapping a few pictures of these spots and posting for you, let me know.

Here are a couple links to some pictures of the trails from a couple years ago.

http://s219.beta.photobucket.com/user/k ... e%20Trails

http://s219.beta.photobucket.com/user/k ... Feb%202010
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby itsfordanny » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Thank you so much for all the help KPVSR.
itsfordanny
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby mtnbkr57 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks for sharing. My 26er will make an appointment for this trail system. :D Hoping my 29er trail buds will accompany me. :guitar:
mtnbkr57
Rock Hopper

Previous

Return to Chattahoochee Valley Area SORBA