Visiting the US again.

This chapter is covering LaGrange and Columbus Georgia to Auburn and Opelika Alabama, located in the Chattahoochee Valley Area and will go by CVA-SORBA.

Visiting the US again.

Postby Ulstrup » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:41 am

Hi there SORBA.

Maybe this is a little off topic, but i hope that you guys forgive me!

In September 2007 my girlfriend and i had a great vacation in the US, i had alot of fun and workout on some og the SORBA tracks, like Blankets Creek and more.
Now we are returning, ine the end of april amd the start of may. We plan aroud a week of outdoor/cabin life in the forest area south of the Smokeys. I have been looking at the Chattahoochee National Forest area, (in 2007 we visited - Ocoee for white water, and Helen for some MTB, and Talula Falls).

We would love to find a area that offers Kayak, Canoe (calm water), hiking and MTB-trips.... And it would be so cool if it was near a great SORBA-tail/track!

Best Regards
Michael Ulstrup
Denmark
Ulstrup
Training Wheel Tyke

Re: Visiting the US again.

Postby DANSPANK » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm sure you can do all of that stuff in Tsali - just google Tsali mtb and you'll get lots of info.
New lungs please...
DANSPANK
Stump Jumper

Postby FarmerG » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Tons of options in North Georgia and Western North Carolina. I got a place in Murphy, NC. All the below are within about an hour of there.

Nantahala provides whitewater rafting with quiet paddling available on the lake. Tsali for riding is right there too.

Jack Rabbit MTB trails are also close by in Hiawasse/Hayesville. If you went rafting at the Ocoee last time, go back and ride their MTB Trails this time....some of the best around.

Appalachian trail hiking, Joyce Kilmer/Slick Rock Wilderness/Cherohala Skyway, SORBA N. GA MTB trails at Aska Rd, Bear Creek/Pinhoti all within an hours drive of Murphy, NC.
Ride when you can. And when you can, ride hard.
FarmerG
Rock Hopper

Postby Ulstrup » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 am

Hi Danspank and FarmerG.

Thanks for the replys, i have used a couple of hours in Google Earth, and on the net, looking the areas you replyed with... it look great!!.

Tsali is looking to be a nice track, im looking so mutch forward to try it out!...

In general it looks a little harder to find calm water Canoeing or Kayaking (rental) than wild water :-)

I will google more to find some nice and cheap cabins.... if you now of any, it would be cool to know!.

Best regards
Michael
Ulstrup
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby chet » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:28 am

The Tumbling waters campground is just a few miles from the Tsali trails and they have some cabins and a stationary camper to rent at cheap prices. http://www.tumblingwaters.com/index.html

This is a very nice small campground right on a nice creek.

The NOC (Natahala outdoor center) http://www.noc.com/index.php/nantahala-outpost-info.html is the place to talk to about renting both whitewater and flatwater boats (I believe they still do this). Lake fontana is the local place for flatwater and there are several whitwater rivers and creeks around. NOC also rents bikes.

Have a great trip.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever"
chet
Rock Hopper

Postby Ulstrup » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Chet.

Thanks for the links, that looks great!

Thanks
Michael!
Ulstrup
Training Wheel Tyke