Charity Short Track Cross Country Race in March 2010

This chapter is covering LaGrange and Columbus Georgia to Auburn and Opelika Alabama, located in the Chattahoochee Valley Area and will go by CVA-SORBA.

Charity Short Track Cross Country Race in March 2010

Postby mrphein » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:19 pm

Hey there brothers and sisters!
I just wanted to make the CVA Chapter aware of a STXC mtn bike race coming to Flat Rock Park in March 2010. The race is a charity race to raise funds for CURE (curechildhoodcancer.org) which is based in Atlanta. Cure supports cancer cure research as well as supports kids and their families going through treatments at the Egleston Childrens and Scotish Rite Hospitals in Atlanta.

I am going to open myself to your comments and suggestions so please visit the site at www.chasingthecure.webs.com. You can send your comments or suggestions to Paul at chasingthecure@hotmail.com. Please put 'comment' or 'suggestion' in the subject line. I will read your emails but please understand I have setup the event based on the research I have done on these types of events and have my own reasons for the format, etc. So if I do make a change based on your suggestion then I must have thought it was a good one. So please review the site, make your suggestions but please explain why you are making it. Just don't tell me to change something with out offering a reason. Anyway, I do appreciate your time!

If you know of a company that you feel would be willing to help with prize donations or some other stuff to help us save money please let me know. Examples....printing flyers, event banner work, porta tiolets rentals....anything like that.

I would like to raise as much money as possible to give to CURE!

Thanks,
Paul
mrphein
Dirt Dawg

Re: Charity Short Track Cross Country Race in March 2010

Postby anderda13 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:28 pm

Just make sure it does not conflict with some of the goneriding.com races.
anderda13
Rock Hopper

Postby kpvsr » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:41 pm

anderda13 wrote:Just make sure it does not conflict with some of the goneriding.com races.

Coconut Cup #6 is the day after in Miami. Shouldn't be any conflict with Gone Riding.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby mrphein » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:29 pm

Yea, thanks for thinking about other events. I looked into all of the different sites that list event dates when I was coming up with the date of March 6th. I am billing our event as 'pre-race' season fitness check. I hope you all will consider donating or participating!

Thanks again for the response.
Paul.
mrphein
Dirt Dawg

Postby knuckledragger » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:17 pm

March 6 is the Snake Creek Gap Final
knuckledragger
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby mrphein » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Yep, you are right, the Snake is on the same day. I guess I overlooked that one. Not too sure what to do about that....if I move it to be earlier in the year it may be too cold and if I wait too long then I go up against the GSC events. Oh well.

All I can say is that our event is for a great cause...CURE is based in Atlanta and it funds research to find cures for childrens cancers and provides support to the families of those kids. They work with the great doctors and nurses in the AFLAC Cancer Centers at Egleston and Scottish Rite hospitals.

I hope you all can support our event.
mrphein
Dirt Dawg

Postby Baine » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

My 13yo son would like to try his first race in a non-threatening event like this one. I want to
take him down to see the trails and get a feel for the circuit. He sometimes rides with me at
Blankets or at Clinton Nature preserve but doesn't have a lot of stamina yet. Which trails at
Flat Rock should I take him on to get a feel for the race day route to see if he really wants to
enter.
M x V = Clydesdale
Baine
Hammer Head

Postby mrphein » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks for the question. Please check out our website at http://chasingthecure.webs.com and go to the DIRECTIONS page, there you can find a map of the park and the route for the race. His age group will do one lap on the orange loop(same as the adults) not the Kiddie Loop. The entire loop is safe with no crazy technical stuff in it. Thanks for asking and we hope to you at the event...racing or not.
Paul.
mrphein
Dirt Dawg

Postby Baine » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:24 am

Thanks for the Info. Some friends and I drove down to Flatrock on Sunday and checked out the course. The
Race route was very wet so we stayed off of those parts but it looks like fun. Only about a mile in length. I
think even my 10yo can ride it though he will not be able to keep up with his 13yo brother. We also rode three
laps of the yellow trail. Though it is only 2.5 miles we found it to be very fun. Only a couple of soft spots but
otherwise nice packed sandy soil.
M x V = Clydesdale
Baine
Hammer Head

Postby mrphein » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Glad you came out and enjoyed what you could ride. When the trail is dry it is pretty smooth and fast, especially the sections you were riding. I hope decide to come down for the event and bring the kids. I now have Shimano supporting the event via their Youth Program. Yahoo!
mrphein
Dirt Dawg

Return to Chattahoochee Valley Area SORBA