Trails at FDR

This chapter is covering LaGrange and Columbus Georgia to Auburn and Opelika Alabama, located in the Chattahoochee Valley Area and will go by CVA-SORBA.

Trails at FDR

Postby tn4072 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:41 pm

I saw on the Ride On website that trails are being built (or maybe being considered) in FDR state park. Could anyone provide me with more information? It would be great to have another local option besides Lakeside and Flat Rock.
tn4072
Training Wheel Tyke

Re: Trails at FDR

Postby chet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:14 pm

I went backpacking at FDR state park (Pine Mountain, GA) a few weeks ago and there are great hiking trails there. I did not see any reference to Mtn bike trails in the park office or anywhere else. It would be a nice location and terrain for mtn bikes.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever"
chet
Rock Hopper

Re: Trails at FDR

Postby kpvsr » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:06 pm

There is a possibility and I think the area tourism committee is interested but to be honest I don't think we have the resources ourselves as a chapter at this time. There may be some old horse trails cleaned up and opened but to really make it worth while that area (cities/counties) need to band together, raise a bunch of money and have some trails professionally built. The amount of land and the terrain involved is deserving of professional assistance.

Once built I believe our chapter could maintain the trails without issue but I don't see us heading up the building efforts anytime soon. We're not quite ready for something like that in my opinion.

These are just my views/opinions of the situation, our current president met with a group over there recently and may have more to offer. I'll steer him this way.
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Return to Chattahoochee Valley Area SORBA