Postby jdunlop » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:42 pm

And Athens-Banner Herald, AJC and VeloNews
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/12/ ... rks_200950
jdunlop
Rock Hopper

Re: Proposed Mtn bike fee has made Headline in the Gwinnett

Postby mpeagan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:48 am

From the DNR web-site:
ATLANTA, December 20, 2011 -- The Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has scheduled two public meetings to discuss proposed mountain bike trail fees at three state parks. DNR officials are considering charging a $2 fee at Fort Yargo, Hard Labor Creek and Unicoi state parks to help offset operational and maintenance costs.

The meetings are scheduled for:

■January 9, 7 p.m. at Ft. Yargo State Park in Winder. Camp Will-A-Way’s gymnasium.

■January 11, 7 p.m. at Unicoi State Park in Helen. Logo Meeting Room at the lodge.

During the past few years, Georgia’s State Parks have been challenged with finding ways to rely less on state funding while keeping parks open for public use. To meet this challenge, officials are looking at user fees and annual passes to cover activities such as horseback riding, disc golf, miniature golf and mountain biking. Revenue from equestrian and mountain bike trails could be especially useful since high-impact trails require more maintenance.

Fort Mountain State Park near Chatsworth already charges a $3 bike trail fee, which is not expected to change. The new proposal includes a $2 bike trail fee for Fort Yargo, Hard Labor Creek and Unicoi state parks, as well as a $25 annual pass good for all state park bike trails. To learn more about biking in Georgia’s state parks, visit www.gastateparks.org/outdoors#biking.

For directions to the public meetings, go to www.georgiastateparks.org. Written comments may be submitted to Director.GSPHS@dnr.state.ga.usbefore January 20, 2012.

I sugest we all wrtie the Director!
mpeagan
Mountain Biker

Postby wojtek » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:54 pm

My experience tells me that government always hears but never listens.
Cycling motion makes me wiser ;)
wojtek
Rock Hopper

Postby Dano » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:39 pm

I know you board mods don't like politics unless it somehow hits home, then it seems to be ok. This type of activity is a prime example of local and state government run amuck by following the federal government lead. Nobody should act surprised. Your voices have already been silenced by your own choosing. And the delete post time clock begins.
‎"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." – James Madison
Dano
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Dano, if you want to start this crap again, then so be it . . . when we shut down the politics forum, it was specified that if it was related to cycling, it would be left. Otherwise this wasn't the place for it. Not real sure how much more clear it can be made.
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby Dano » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Nope. I'm cool Grog. I think you might have read a little more than what was intended there. The mod thing was tongue-in-cheek, but wouldn't have surprised me if you killed it. Quite frankly, back in the day, this issue would have tens and tens of posts by now. Sad really.
‎"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." – James Madison
Dano
Rock Hopper

Postby Mark D. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Dano wrote:Nope. I'm cool Grog. I think you might have read a little more than what was intended there. The mod thing was tongue-in-cheek, but wouldn't have surprised me if you killed it. Quite frankly, back in the day, this issue would have tens and tens of posts by now. Sad really.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38274
"talk of politics and global warming makes my head hurt"-Mark D.
Mark D.
Rock Hopper

Return to Gwinnett Area Trail Riders