Harbins creek crossing

The Gwinnett Area Trail Riders (GATR)

Re: Harbins creek crossing

Postby peh » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:13 am

peh
Rock Hopper

Postby SAI Trails » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:38 pm

When we built 4, we were informed that we wont be allowed to build any sort of bridge or structure on county property without serious engineering. Unfortunately this means we wont ever have a free ride park with wood structures in Gwinnett.
SAI Trails
Rock Hopper

Postby JeffL » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:30 am

SAI Trails wrote:When we built 4, we were informed that we wont be allowed to build any sort of bridge or structure on county property without serious engineering. Unfortunately this means we wont ever have a free ride park with wood structures in Gwinnett.

And yet, you built a large boardwalk on MB4, where none was needed, and using more materials than the suggested creek bridge would ever need.
It never gets easier, you just go faster. -Greg LeMond
I'm not as fast as I think I am. -JeffL
JeffL
Dirt Dawg

Postby SAI Trails » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:49 pm

JeffL wrote:
SAI Trails wrote:When we built 4, we were informed that we wont be allowed to build any sort of bridge or structure on county property without serious engineering. Unfortunately this means we wont ever have a free ride park with wood structures in Gwinnett.

And yet, you built a large boardwalk on MB4, where none was needed, and using more materials than the suggested creek bridge would ever need.

The only boardwalk is on the hiking trail loop, and it is over a large granite outcrop where there are rare plant species that needed to be protected. The general contractor for the park built the boardwalk outside of our scope of work. Of course the county has the ability to build a bridge there, but my original point is that based on their building code, they would have to spend tens of thousands of dollars at a minimum to build the bridge that they apparently feel is unnecessary. The boardwalk you referenced cost several hundred thousand. If you want a bridge, and you are a Gwinnett citizen, I would suggest contacting your commissioner and speaking to them about it. If a commissioner wants a bridge, there is a good chance it could be built..
SAI Trails
Rock Hopper

Postby spistols » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:44 pm

How about some extra layers of large rock topped off with smaller rock, just to decrease the depth of the creek, yet allow the water to still flow? This can't be the same cost as constructing a bridge, can it?
spistols
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby mpeagan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:12 pm

Large rocks on top of bedrock, umm what could possibly go wrong? Not ideal, not even sustainable. Try lower tire pressure, moderate speed, equal weight front and rear.
mpeagan
Mountain Biker

Previous

Return to Gwinnett Area Trail Riders