man-dies-in-harbins-park-bicycle-accident

The Gwinnett Area Trail Riders (GATR)

man-dies-in-harbins-park-bicycle-accident

Postby Buster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Just saw this article. I wonder what happened?

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2 ... -accident/

Prayers up for his family and friends.
Buster
Hammer Head

Re: man-dies-in-harbins-park-bicycle-accident

Postby dpresten » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 pm

That is so sad. I can't imagine going for a quick mtb ride and not coming home. Definitely a sober reminder as we head into the new year.
dpresten
Rock Hopper

Postby Chris1911 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Horrible :(
Chris1911
Rock Hopper

Postby Buster » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:35 pm

More info about this...

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/2 ... s-60-year/

For those familiar with Harbins, Rim Bender is on MB4, right?

edit: I watched the video(s) and answered my own question.
Buster
Hammer Head

Postby Bikefriendlyatl » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Our friends name is Larry Steward. BFA is in the process of getting a ghost bike, mtb version, for our friend, his family and the cycling community. Does anyone have an idea of where to place the ghost bike? Just give me your thoughts. As always, be safe and enjoy life, BFA www.bikefriendlyatl.com FB-Bikefriendlyatl
Bikefriendlyatl
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby stuart.tinker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:10 am

In my opinion, a ghost bike is not appropriate for this situation. To me a ghost bike represents an innocent life lost due to an accident of negligence to remind drivers to be careful out there. (i.e. vehicle vs. bike) In this case, if an on site tribute is to be made, it should probably be lead by friends or family and I believe a bench with a placard is much more appropriate. It give focus, a place to rest/reflect, does not 'forget', but doesn't evoke negative feelings or a disruption to the natural surroundings.
stuart.tinker
Mountain Biker

Postby psychobillycadillac » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:10 pm

stuart.tinker wrote:In my opinion, a ghost bike is not appropriate for this situation. To me a ghost bike represents an innocent life lost due to an accident of negligence to remind drivers to be careful out there. (i.e. vehicle vs. bike) In this case, if an on site tribute is to be made, it should probably be lead by friends or family and I believe a bench with a placard is much more appropriate. It give focus, a place to rest/reflect, does not 'forget', but doesn't evoke negative feelings or a disruption to the natural surroundings.

I agree with this 100% a ghost bike fits more in line with the urban landscape of concrete and cars and represents the loss of life due to a drivers negligence. A bench w/ a placard makes a much more natural and positive thought provoking memorial while a white spraypainted bike over time looks like something that was abandoned, an example of this is the bike that was left at Chicopee at the end of Flying Squirell/Copperhead that has been slowly stripped of parts.
psychobillycadillac
Rock Hopper

Postby hnat70 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:02 am

Bikefriendlyatl wrote:Our friends name is Larry Steward. BFA is in the process of getting a ghost bike, mtb version, for our friend, his family and the cycling community. Does anyone have an idea of where to place the ghost bike? Just give me your thoughts. As always, be safe and enjoy life, BFA http://www.bikefriendlyatl.com FB-Bikefriendlyatl

Coming from some one who spent hours on top of hours helping build and shape those trails over the years, I personally think that is really cool idea and gesture. Along the trails there are several markings and landmarks that only those of us who have spent alot of time out there know why they are there. There is also a cross on mb3 to mark where a man was dumped many years back. Any ways, just my opinion, overall what ever his close friends and family would like to see done is what should be the first consideration.
hnat70
Rock Hopper

Postby mcombs77 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:43 am

A ghost bike would be considered litter by our land manager. We spoke to our Gwinnett County Parks and Recreation contact and they have commemorative program to add another type of marker.

http://www.gwinnettcounty.com/portal/gwinnett/Departments/CommunityServices/ParksandRecreation/GwinnettParksFoundation
"The Commemorative Program is an ideal way to honor or memorialize a loved one or commemorate a special event. Plant a tree with a granite marker or provide a beautiful bench in a park or along a trail. Fee ranges and options are available at http://www.gwinnettparksfoundation.org."
Have fun mountain biking. Get off your PC and get out there and ride.
mcombs77
Rock Hopper

Return to Gwinnett Area Trail Riders