Question re: 1up rack

Discuss frames, wheels, drivetrains, pieces & parts with other gearheads. Or talk helmets, shoes, & shorts with the fashion slaves.

Question re: 1up rack

Postby grog » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 pm

After moving back out to the boonies last year and bringing my commute back up to 80+ miles per day, I parked the Jeep for the weekends and bought a Volt for going back/forth to work. I currently have a Yakima HoldUp with the add-on (total of 4 bikes and, right now, if I want to take the bike to work to ride, I have to take the Jeep or take the front wheel off and stick it in the back of the Volt.

Years ago - when the forum was alive - the 1up got rave reviews. Since I don't want to have the 50+ HoldUp on the Volt, I'm contemplating selling it (and the Add-On) and getting a 1up, that way I can run just the single tray 90% of the time (I tend to leave the rack on all the time) and add trays as necessary.

So the question (I know - took a while to get there) is ... can you run a 3 add-ons to a QuikRack single for a total of 4 bikes (on the Jeep - wouldn't run more than 2 on the Volt)? They'd all be well under 30# (mine at 25# would likely be the heaviest). Also, in a prior post (yes, I did search some), someone mentioned that there was an issue with the key - something about the same key worked for all 1ups? Is that still an issue?

Thanks.

grog
grog
Rock Hopper

Re: Question re: 1up rack

Postby Tweety » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:09 am

from the 1UP site:
1up's Pitch

1,2,3,4 get your Add-On to haul more. The singular Add-Ons allow for numerical versatility on all the racks. The single-rack carriers are rated for up to three bikes max and the double-rack carriers are rated for up to four bikes max. Easy on and off with the unique hex wrench provided. Tighten the two security bolts and we’ll call that installation process sweatfree.

So, if you want to carry 4 bikes, you have to buy the 2 bike rack up front.

Yes, the 1Up "Key" is actually a ~10mm Allen Safety key (hex with a post in the center), and yes, any 1 up key will fit any other. We typically use a cable lock to secure the 1Up rack to the safety chain attachment points on the hitch. It's not an "issue" per say, just means you need to secure the rack with a cable.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else.
-Will Rogers
"as long as you are still a cool guy 99 % of the time the 1 % time that you lose it is ok by me" - Mark D.
Tweety
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:18 am

Thanks, B. I emailed them as well and they said the same thing. The reality is that it probably doesn't change my getting it - mainly because it's the only hitch rack I've seen (in my limited research) that will allow a single tray (everything is seems to be a 2-bike platform) and since I'll likely keep it on the car all the time, I'd like to keep the profile (relatively) small with the single tray folded up. As for the 4-bike "requirement" ... as I thought about it, I really couldn't remember the last time I carried 4-bikes at once.

I'm intrigued by the Kuat - especially with the workstand mount - but a) I can't justify buying a new rack that is essentially the same as my HoldUp and b) the last time I looked (admittedly several years ago) the quality of the Kuat was reported to be fairly inferior to the Yakima and Thule comparable racks.

Now to decide between Quick Rack and Super Duty ... the 1.25" of the Quick Rack is fine for the Volt but I'm leery of using the adapter on the Jeep (2") - mainly concerned about "bounce" and "sway".
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby ScottGreer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

I may have missed it, but why not just run the Thule on the Volt? You already own it, as well as the add on, and admittedly plan to carry up to 2 bikes with the Volt anyways. Why not just save the coin and use the rack you already have?
ScottGreer
Stump Jumper

Postby grog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:07 pm

ScottGreer wrote:I may have missed it, but why not just run the Thule on the Volt? You already own it, as well as the add on, and admittedly plan to carry up to 2 bikes with the Volt anyways. Why not just save the coin and use the rack you already have?

Because I'm being admittedly anal about it ... I typically always have the rack on the vehicle (which was stupid over the past year when I became apathetic about biking and didn't touch it). With the HoldUp (or whichever the Yakima version is) and it's "2 bike minimum" and no bike, I'm a) carrying significantly more weight than the single bike 1up, b) will have to drop the rack to get into the hatch of the Volt and c) will have decreased gas mileage (I fully admit that the difference will be marginal at best) with the increased drag. With the 1up single, it's quite a bit lighter, it hugs the bumper (for better drag) and doesn't interfere with my hatch access. Plus, if I decide that I'm not going to carry the rack all the time, the lighter 1up will be easier to put on and off (at least that's my perception). Finally, at least 90% of the time, it'll just be my bike on the Volt. MAYBE 5% I'll have a 2nd bike on the Volt (and that's being generous).

Truly, if it were simply a cost thing, I could sell the HoldUp and just carry the bike inside but I despise taking the front wheel off and playing Tetris to get the bike in the car. In fact, I learned my first lesson in the difference between a RockShox thru-axle and Manitou last week when I snapped the Manitou thinking that it was a "screw off" axle instead of the quarter turn and pull. Thanks to Dondi and crew at Cartecay, that got fixed quickly (and lesson learned).

Make sense?
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby ScottGreer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm

grog wrote:Because I'm being admittedly anal about it ...

Make sense?

Yep :mrgreen:
ScottGreer
Stump Jumper

Return to Equipment