Decatur Trail Rep (Ira B Melton Park)

Atlanta, Georgia chapter of SORBA.

Re: Decatur Trail Rep (Ira B Melton Park)

Postby BKMMA » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:36 am

Hey, this is 4 miles from me. Anyone know if the trails are still good? I wouldn't mind riding and/or running some closer trails.
BKMMA
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby iride » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:09 am

4 miles? Quit posting and get to exploring.

:mrgreen:
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby tenbsmith » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:03 pm

Go running there the first time. Plenty of good places for that. I heard they were mulching the Ira B Melton side of the park, so not sure how the riding it over there now.
wind whistles in an empty ear
tenbsmith
Rock Hopper

Postby thubeav » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Riding is great. Trails are dry now and they always have some sand. So chips are no big deal.

There are a number of cool little loops and you can ford over to the Mason Mill side or venture over to Chandler Park/E#ory.

Go for the gusto.
Ken the SS Clyde
thubeav
Rock Hopper

Postby liteless » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:18 am

Not to raise a dead thread, but I'd like to be involved in any work day or new info on this trail.
Found it a few months back and really enjoy it, wish we had some trail builders to help out with the singletrack.

I got a truck I can load up gear and tools if anyone ever wants to work on it.
liteless
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby k2biker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 pm

liteless wrote:Not to raise a dead thread, but I'd like to be involved in any work day or new info on this trail.
Found it a few months back and really enjoy it, wish we had some trail builders to help out with the singletrack.

I got a truck I can load up gear and tools if anyone ever wants to work on it.

Shoot me an email to charles at atlantaoutfitters dot com and I'll send you the contact info on the group who's doing the work.
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
33North Adventures |Owner
k2biker
Rock Hopper

Postby liteless » Sat May 05, 2012 3:00 am

email sent a couple days ago.
liteless
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby Gike » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Hey riders. I have recently been appointed to the board with the newly restructured SORBA/ATL. Now focusing on trails within 30 miles of DT ATL, including Sope Creek. We really want to get more of these ITP trails on the map and get intown riders some dirt to ride close to home. Ira B Melton / Mason Mill is not a park one would drive in to from a long distance, but for locals, its the bomb. There are at least 20 parks ITP that have trails in them now. Atlanta is turning into a bicycling town, and the city knows mountain bikes will bring more people into their parks. If there is a plot of land in Fulton Co or DeKalb Co that you think would be perfect for a mtb trail, get on our list. The worldwide MTB web forum www.singletracks.com has some of the ITP trials defined on their site. Get involved. This city is ripe for off road cycling. :rock:
Gike
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby iride » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Gike wrote:Hey riders. I have recently been appointed to the board with the newly restructured SORBA/ATL. Now focusing on trails within 30 miles of DT ATL, including Sope Creek. We really want to get more of these ITP trails on the map and get intown riders some dirt to ride close to home. Ira B Melton / Mason Mill is not a park one would drive in to from a long distance, but for locals, its the bomb. There are at least 20 parks ITP that have trails in them now. Atlanta is turning into a bicycling town, and the city knows mountain bikes will bring more people into their parks. If there is a plot of land in Fulton Co or DeKalb Co that you think would be perfect for a mtb trail, get on our list. The worldwide MTB web forum http://www.singletracks.com has some of the ITP trials defined on their site. Get involved. This city is ripe for off road cycling. :rock:

please post the list of these 20 itp parks with trails. tia...
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby tenbsmith » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm

I too would love to see that list, even an abbreviated version.

I ride mason mill regularly. On my way there I ride some trails by Druid Hills Middle school.

If you need help with those, or others in that area, let me know.
wind whistles in an empty ear
tenbsmith
Rock Hopper

Postby GTscoob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:41 am

Gike is leading a fat-tire bike tour in a few weeks that will show off most of these trails from the sounds of it. Wish I could make it but I'll have to snag a bootleg copy of the cue sheet sometime soon.

https://www.facebook.com/events/164120710433615/

-Bobby
GTscoob
Rock Hopper

Previous

Return to SORBA Atlanta