First trip ever to Sope Creek, my opinions.

Atlanta, Georgia chapter of SORBA.

First trip ever to Sope Creek, my opinions.

Postby hnat70 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 pm

My wife and I took a trip today over to check out the trails at Sope creek, never have been there before. Now before I go any further, let me bring you up to speed on us. "Me" MTN biker 75% and hiker 25%. My wife 85% Hiker 15% MTN biker. Today we where on foot not wheels :D We parked at the trail head off paper mill, and hiked the 2 1/2 mile trail in and out that also allows bikes. I got to say it really was a cool trail, and got a great workout in, I am beat. But the main reason for writing this is to tell my tale of being a "hiker" sharing a trail with them "pesky" MTN bike riders :mrgreen: . Both me and my wife have heard all these story's about how the hikers out there are annoyed and bothered by those on bikes, and how they are a problem and making things bad out there. After our trip there today, we are both calling BS on who ever is saying that. That trail today was pretty much packed with MTN bikers, and I can honestly say, that 95% of them where as friendly and courteous as they could be. They all called out "on your left" if they where behind us, and thanked us as they went by :thumbup: And just about every single one coming towards us gave a smile and said hello. I was seriously very impressed, even my wife said out of the blue how friendly all the bikers seemed to be. We have hiked many other shared trail systems, and I again as a "MTN biker" have encountered many elitist @-holes on bikes. I just figured after hearing all kinds of negative crap, I could bring some positive opinions to the table. The way I look at it, be a Hiker, MTN Biker, or Horse Rider, we all share the same passion for a love of dirt trails. Cant we all just get along? If we could learn to do just that, im betting it would mean so much more miles of trails for us all.
hnat70
Rock Hopper

Re: First trip ever to Sope Creek, my opinions.

Postby iride » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:25 pm

sope, including the trail you two hiked, used to be a much, much more technical playground w/ a few now-gone stoopid tech spots that, once you were in them going dh there was no stopping. i'm guessing a lot of the issues happened in those spots.
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby hnat70 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:02 am

iride wrote:sope, including the trail you two hiked, used to be a much, much more technical playground w/ a few now-gone stoopid tech spots that, once you were in them going dh there was no stopping. i'm guessing a lot of the issues happened in those spots.

Im sure your right about that, we noticed a ton of old sections that used to be some sick looking tech trail. Im guessing back in the day before every one and there grand mothers started coming out there, that was one h*ll of a place to get some serious riding in. The terrain out there is just incredible. I really want to go back soon and hit the trail on my bike.

Another thing I noticed was, it seemed at least half of the riders out there where also riding old school bikes. Meaning 90's models thru mid 2000, and those who had them also looked like they could ride, and do so on a daily basis. That for me was so cool to see. Here in my part of town it seems if you dont ride a boutique 29r or have a $3000. XTR outfitted FS bike, people treat you like your not a real MTN biker, and you should not be out on the trails. In so many ways, it was just so refreshing being out there today.
hnat70
Rock Hopper

Postby k2biker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you for posting this positive report. More trails coming soon. Phase 2 will be complete by March 31 but will only be open to hikers for now. We're still waiting on the regulation to get passed in DC which will allow bikes. We also have training coming up in March for the new bike patrol. I'll post that info under a new thread.

I'm glad you enjoyed the trails! More good stuff will be open soon!
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
33North Adventures |Owner
k2biker
Rock Hopper

Postby k2biker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:13 pm

And btw, before you call BS on the complaints, I would gladly send you the emails I get from the NPS. The complaints mostly come from the same group of neighbors who are adamently opposed to bikes.

This is why I've been asking that folks send monthly emails to the park superintendent, IMBA, and Tom Sauret to thank them for the work they're leading and that you look forward to more.

CHAT_Superintendent@nps.gov

Joe, your experience would be a good one to send!
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
k2biker
Rock Hopper

Postby hnat70 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:11 pm

Would be more than happy to send them all emails. Just PM me the names and addresses of all you want it sent to. Also if I should just send what I wrote here, or clean it up a tad.
hnat70
Rock Hopper

Postby k2biker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:29 pm

hnat70 wrote:Would be more than happy to send them all emails. Just PM me the names and addresses of all you want it sent to. Also if I should just send what I wrote here, or clean it up a tad.

I put the super's address in my previous post and I'll send you the others. As for what you send? I'd honestly send it just the way you posted it. It's an honest first take of your experience and will be welcomed.
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
k2biker
Rock Hopper

Return to SORBA Atlanta