painting a frame in ATL?

Atlanta, Georgia chapter of SORBA.

painting a frame in ATL?

Postby mack_turtle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 am

I attempted to paint my chromoly mtb frame this week and botched it. before I spend any more money on painting materials, can anyone recommend a place that can do it right without spending a fortune? the only auto painting shop I called so far quoted me $180! I could almost buy a new frame for that price.
mack_turtle
Hammer Head

Re: painting a frame in ATL?

Postby yoohoo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:36 am

$180 is cheap to have a frame professionally painted. There is a whole lot that goes into it and the materials are expensive...I know I used to do custom motorcycles and did a few frames a couple years ago.

Look into powder coating it. It will last longer and be much more durable. I used the guy in Dawsonville. He did a good job on my cranks and the frames I have seen that he has done have looked great. You can find him on craigslist.
Everyone knows rusted screws on a bike means that you probably drove it underwater and that's bad a$$ in itself.

" I play real sports...not trying to be the best at exercise"
yoohoo
Rock Hopper

Postby enerj » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:39 pm

what'd he charge?

You can get good results you just need to be very detail oriented and thorough. Completely sand remove all paint, clean frame completely, 3-5 coats of primary with sanding in between, 3-4 desired paint (should try and get good stuff) then a good lacquer.
enerj
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby k2biker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm in the process of repainting my full custom steel frame. It's very easy to do and you can do it for under $50 -- cheaper if you don't use Duplicolor. Use 150 or greater grit sand paper for the sanding. If you mess up, just sand down the bad spot(s) and primer it again!
Charles Myrick
Go make a difference!
33North Adventures |Owner
k2biker
Rock Hopper

Return to SORBA Atlanta