Converting ATV trails to MTB trails

Discuss trail design, construction and maintenance. Enter the amazing world of Pulaskis, McLeods, Stihls, Dingos, and SWECOs

Converting ATV trails to MTB trails

Postby The Baron » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Hello all!

I've been riding Blankets Creek for some time now, and just recently joined the Woodstock SORBA chapter. I live in the Eagle Watch subdivision and recently discovered some old ATV trails in the woods behind my house adjacent to Lake Allatoona. The Army Corp of Engineers has banned the use of motorized offroad vehicles in these woods, but not MTBs!

I've made several futile attempts to ride these ATV trails, but am having some diffulity, and wish to attemp to make them more suitable for MTBs. The main issues are the extremely steep uphills, and at the bottom of these hills big muck puddles. Do I give up and just keep riding Blankets, or are there some pointers you trail cutters can give me to make my backyard/backwoods ride more enjoyable?
History shows again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The Baron
Rock Hopper

Re: Converting ATV trails to MTB trails

Postby iride » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:18 pm

my pointer would be to refrain from doing anything on corps land without permission.
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Postby grog » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:36 pm

+1 to iride . . . your intentions are admirable but this could definitely be a case where you ended up doing more harm than good. Not necessarily to the trails you're talking about but the mtb community's relationship with the COE.

Best thing to do is to bring it up at the next chapter meeting and/or work with SORBA-W's trail director.
Does Lance Armstong know how to ride a bike?
grog
Rock Hopper

Postby The Baron » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks guys. Didnt really think about it in that perspective. People from the neighborhood use the trails for hiking, as well as putting canoes and kayaks in at the lake. Since SORBA-W has to keep a relationship with the Corp i'll refrain from cycling out there. Maybe the Greenprints Project will adress some of my issues in the future anyway.

Back to South Loop!
The Baron
Rock Hopper

Postby darbrednew » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 pm

+2 to iride. The corp guys dont fool around with their property.
Brad
PRESIDENT - RAMBO/SORBA
http://www.rambo-mtb.org/

btw, is your SORBA/IMBA membership current?
Check out RAMBO on Facebook
darbrednew
Rock Hopper

Postby Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 pm

...but they are fun to ride I mainly ride on the north side , but have crossed over the railroad bridege and ridden the southside and I start at the ?Bilo Park?(tennis/softball fields) on old Hwy 5 cross the bridge and get onto the corps property
Bipolar-XC-Ridin-Fool
Rock Hopper

Postby superlite » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:11 pm

anorher challenge is atv trails go straight up and down the hills as not to roll over these type or trails erode terribly and is probably why they were stopped, bike trails are not built this way for that very reason, thats why lthere is so much muck at the bottoms
superlite
Dirt Dawg

Postby singlespeedsouth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:40 am

Sorry to tell you this but , ATVs are still very much in use on these trails banned or not. Also hunters are very active on the corp property as well. Ride the trails as they are. they way more challenging and the atvs are actually good because if a tree goes down they can make a new trail easier. You think riding a banned ATV on corp land is bad, get caught with a chainsaw.
Will wrench for ride.
singlespeedsouth
Rock Hopper

Postby singlespeedsouth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:00 am

Next time your at OutSpokin' Bikes in Woodstock ask for Roofus, I can tell you about some of the trails, and we could do a ride.
Will wrench for ride.
singlespeedsouth
Rock Hopper

Postby The Baron » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for the additional comments guys. Roofus, i'll be coming in to see you on tuesday if you're working!
The Baron
Rock Hopper

Postby darbrednew » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:40 pm

There are atv trails along Lake Lanier where RAMBO is building the new Charleston Park trails, but the COE wouldnt let us use them, or be within 100 ft of the high water mark. Sure wish we could have had those atv trails granfathered into our being able to build the bike trail on them in some areas.
Brad
PRESIDENT - RAMBO/SORBA
http://www.rambo-mtb.org/

btw, is your SORBA/IMBA membership current?
Check out RAMBO on Facebook
darbrednew
Rock Hopper

Return to Trail Building Techniques & Equipment