modifying a tiller

Discuss trail design, construction and maintenance. Enter the amazing world of Pulaskis, McLeods, Stihls, Dingos, and SWECOs

modifying a tiller

Postby 1967sschevelle » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

I have and old front tine tiller. Have been thinking about modifying it to be a trail scraper by putting some small atv wheels/tires on the drive axles (remove the tines) and build about a 32" wide scraper blade for the front. Work at a fab shop so that part will be fairly easy. Any of yall ever seen such a contraption before ? :?:
1967sschevelle
Mountain Biker

Re: modifying a tiller

Postby kowen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:51 pm

I can't offer any advice because I'm mechanically challenged at best, but I'd be curious if you are successful. I think that'd be a great tool for deberming a trail quickly and, with a small support group for trail maintenance, we need all the productivity tools we can get. Good luck!
kowen
Rock Hopper

Postby 1967sschevelle » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 pm

am "guilty" of being a mechanical engineer, so we'll see what happens. will try to post some photos when I get it built. know I dont like the wide swath that the mini skid steer makes for mtb trails. it just aint singletrack when you get wider than 30" (to me) and that is being extremly wide - even in the south with all of the flora and fauna.
1967sschevelle
Mountain Biker

Postby kpvsr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:22 pm

I'd limit the blade to 26". It will have less area to have to push through. What hp is the tiller?
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby 1967sschevelle » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:46 pm

hi there mister Ken, hope all is well for you.

probably will. thinking I would base the blade width on the width of the wheels (kinda). my wheels may even end up being some steel drive pulleys we have out back here - cut me some "v" shaped "treads" on them with the mazak - they are quite heavy for ballast too.. think it is a 5hp, not sure though. should be pretty neat. usually in my case some one has already done it (built one) before...ha....
1967sschevelle
Mountain Biker

Postby hugh » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:39 pm

What about the speed of the tines? Wonder how the blade would work behind the tines?

Just a couple of thoughts. I'm curious to hear how it works.

Good luck

Hugh
hugh
Rock Hopper

Postby 1967sschevelle » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm

this thing has a gear box with a lever to clutch it. has a control to adjust the rpm of the motor to adjust the speed like a lawn mower. there will be no tines, they will be replaced with the wheels. there are also two wheels on it in the rear with a plow bar connected to them. the blade will probably be in place of that plow, rear of the drive wheels...thanks for the replys folks....btw - I have a 10+ mile trail on 100 acres to use this thing on....ghost town in salem alabama....built it in '06. it is very rocky terrain - thus the idea for my mini scraper....will try to figure out how to post some photos next week....
1967sschevelle
Mountain Biker

Postby megatron » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:45 pm

it would be easier to adapt on older troybilt tiller, a horse model (a pony would work but its really lite weight). they are heavier weight and in construction. large drive tires, rear tines easy to remove and a steel frame to weld to, it could push or drag a blade. they used to offer blade kits for them.
it would definitly work better than a front tine, but you have that one to play with, look around you could get lucky and find one sitting around and resurect it for cheap.
megatron
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby Crockett » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:16 pm

We have a (paulding Sorba) rear blade idea in the works for a troybuilt rear tine-self propelled. We have use a tiller before and it works great. We do need a team to pull the dirt after the tiller makes a run. Let us know what you come up with and we will do the same.
later
Crockett
Hammer Head

Postby kowen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:12 am

Interesting possibilities here. Keep sharing your experiences. We've discussed cobbling up a blade to mount to a rear tine tiller.
kowen
Rock Hopper

Postby megatron » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:23 am

just for an idea for those of you who fab, not the best pictures but you get the idea
http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_91388_54971_-1
if its a newer horse, the tine assembley can be swapped out in about 5-10 min. which leaves just the power head and the rear open, plus a mounting flange for your drag blade. it would still be fully functional as a tiller then just swap out the tines for the blade. sitting here thinking about it, a rear mounted box blade would be perfect, with minor linkage/ brackets it could be made to float or fixed rigid....hmmmmm

ps
http://www.troybilt.com/wcsstore/pics/TroyBilt/769-03557.pdf check out pg 23, figs 4-20 to 4-22
it shows the tine removal plus where you could mount a flange. sorry about having to post the link for the whole pdf but its locked/secure and i didnt feel like tryin to hack it for just the one page its too early in the am......
megatron
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby Crockett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 am

We plan to make some mods to this tiller like a scrap blade and remove the tine housing. Tiller tends to get wrenched by roots and rocks getting stuck in the housing.
link to vid... sorry for the cheese-ball soundtrack but it is free.
Mt. Tabor "Gateway" trails are going to be shwweet!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1038993974054
later
Crockett
Hammer Head

Postby megatron » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:27 pm

wouldnt happen to have a link for the 3 of us left on the planet who dont use facebook or myspace
megatron
Training Wheel Tyke

Postby Crockett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pm

sorry facebook was the fastest... and I could download 1000+mb vids less than 20 min.
I don't like myspace...
we (paulding sorba) opened a face book page and have been very happy.
face book is different...really... :roll:
later
Crockett
Hammer Head

Postby redroadrider » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:52 pm

What about putting a little dump cart on the front of the tiller. I would still have to change out the front tines for new rubber. I feel like I would have a lot of use for a self-propelled wheel barrow, gets dirt and materials for bridges stunts deep in the woods. Anyone have an old tiller for sale.
Jake

Sunshine Cycles
redroadrider
Training Wheel Tyke

Next

Return to Trail Building Techniques & Equipment