East coast use of Sweco Dozer

Discuss trail design, construction and maintenance. Enter the amazing world of Pulaskis, McLeods, Stihls, Dingos, and SWECOs

East coast use of Sweco Dozer

Postby SAI Trails » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 pm

I'm just curious about the Sweco. I've been checking one out for a long time, and I did some workshops at the PTBA conference recently and had a chance to work with one for the first time. My only concern is that they are based in Cali, and there are no east coast distributors or parts dealers. Does anyone know what kind of support you can get, and if it is worth the effort instead of using something like the new Kubota kx121-3 that has a 6 way blade built in with float. Or I guess a dingo with the 6 way that I already use. I know it is much heavier and faster, but the cost and prospect of being left with no parts or tech support worries me. Any thoughts?
SAI Trails
Rock Hopper

Re: East coast use of Sweco Dozer

Postby bobg » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 am

get a hold of Stephen Mullins, from PROTRAILS, I believe he has experience with that machine
Bob Grieco
RAMBO DUDE
bobg
SORBA

Postby kpvsr » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Doesn't Woodstock own one?
kpvsr
Rock Hopper

Postby darbrednew » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:10 pm

I dont believe any SORBA chapter owns a Sweco. One was used recently at Sope Creek to cut some new trails, but it was brought down from a fellow out of NC that I think Long Cane Trails subcontracted with. (Bill Victor could probably get you in touch with him) I've been very interested in the Sweco too, and I have the phone number of the company that builds them in Novato California. PM me if you want the number.
Brad
PRESIDENT - RAMBO/SORBA
http://www.rambo-mtb.org/

btw, is your SORBA/IMBA membership current?
Check out RAMBO on Facebook
darbrednew
Rock Hopper

Postby Woodman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Lots of Sweco built trail in the south including much at FATS, Greenslick in Bent Creek and many trails in DuPont.

Trail Dynamics owns and operates 2 Sweco trail dozers on projects we do, but we also have a fleet of other machines (mini ex, DitchWitch units, tracked carriers etc).

Customer service from Sweco is piss poor. Great machine, but support is not good. You need a good mechanic if planning to use a Sweco.

Woody Keen- President -Trail Dynamics LLC
Woodman
Mountain Biker

Return to Trail Building Techniques & Equipment