Trail User Counter-what type works best?

Discuss trail design, construction and maintenance. Enter the amazing world of Pulaskis, McLeods, Stihls, Dingos, and SWECOs

Trail User Counter-what type works best?

Postby yotee » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Need input from those who have counters at trails to determine what works best. USFS put up a couter at Jackrabbit, but I have noticed it is not picking up all the users. There appears to be a delay, and if bikers/hikers go by in a big group, it only picks up one or two. We need correct stats for grant purposes and future plans.
We have studied different types, but prior to us purchasing a specific one, we would like to get input, please.
Thanks
yotee
Mountain Biker

Re: Trail User Counter-what type works best?

Postby AlloyNipples » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:29 pm

This is what we just started using, good success so far. www.trafx.net

Check out some of the input we gathered here:
http://www.sorbawoodstock.org/
Never, ever, take Blankets Creek for granted!
AlloyNipples
Rock Hopper

Postby bobg » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:23 am

once woodstock is done with data collection goal, any possibility of "renting" your counters out to other chapters?
Bob Grieco
RAMBO DUDE
bobg
SORBA

Postby darbrednew » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:09 pm

bobg wrote:once woodstock is done with data collection goal, any possibility of "renting" your counters out to other chapters?

Good idea.
Brad
PRESIDENT - RAMBO/SORBA
http://www.rambo-mtb.org/

btw, is your SORBA/IMBA membership current?
Check out RAMBO on Facebook
darbrednew
Rock Hopper

Postby yotee » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:35 pm

This looks interesting. The counter in place at Jackrabbit has a reflector, and I'm thinking it must be an older model. Looks like the type you are using does not. The delay with ours is causing a problem with accuracy.
I was told by USFS that we needed to go 'slower' and spread out more so it would count us- gotta love em!
Thanks for the input.
yotee
Mountain Biker

Postby mountainman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:29 pm

The Trafx counters sense any metal that passes within a 3ft radius from the counter. Just bury them next to the trail and they time stamp every pass. When you pull the data from them the timestamp data even give you the "strength" magnitude of the metal that it detected. Using this info you can determine if you need to move the counter to a better location if you see a lot of timestamps that are low on the spectrum.

The guys at Trafx are top notch in answering any questions about their stuff and offer a 5 yr warranty for an extra $50 a counter.

We asked for references before we committed. They gave me a contact to one of the board members on the bike club that manages the Lake Tahoe Rim Trail (on the front of IMBA trail solutions manual). They have been using them there for 2 yrs and love them. No issues at all. The tahoe guys said their batteries last over a year before they have to change them.
President - SORBA Woodstock
mountainman
Rock Hopper

Postby iride » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:19 pm

i'd prefer a hottt brunette with hugs cans...of beer...and a tiny t-shirt sitting at the trail head counting laps. maybe then i could ride more than three...
clearly it's entirely too technical...

**currently tied with Lance Armstrong on Tour de France wins.**
iride
Rock Hopper

Return to Trail Building Techniques & Equipment