Off-premise Growlers in Alpharetta!

Stupid pictures? Religion? Not about the bike... Keep 'em here, and we'll all be happy.

Off-premise Growlers in Alpharetta!

Postby MarkEm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am

Could be interesting. Alpharetta OK to pour growlers
Mark McCabe

Help out where you can.
MarkEm
Rock Hopper

Re: Off-premise Growlers in Alpharetta!

Postby Bull Mtn Bigfoot » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:56 am

If you're a fan of Growlers you can head up 400 to hwy 141 and across from the avenues is Crafty Draught. Picked up a growler of Heavy Seas loose cannon yesterday, good stuff.

City Growler opens up next week in downtown Cumming as well, might me similar to the above but who know it is always good to have options.
Bull Mtn Bigfoot
Rock Hopper

Postby al. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:19 pm

In midtown, you can get growlers at Hop City. They have something like 60 taps to choose from.

In Marietta there is a little shop called Moon Dog Growlers - all they do is fill your growler.

I approve of both stores.
al.
Rock Hopper

Postby Plan 9 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:29 pm

There used to be a place in Elijay called the Hitchin Post. They sold draught beer in one gal. plastic containers. Class!
It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress.
-Mark Twain
Plan 9
Rock Hopper

Postby ShortBus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:40 pm

I like the joint on 141 in Cumming, not too many taps, but one of them is Abita Root Beer. I usually get a smaller growler of that stuff when I refill my 'real' beer growler. Will have to check out the new one downtown Cumming when it opens.
I do what the cheerios tell me.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa
ShortBus
Rock Hopper

Postby MarkEm » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Plan 9 wrote:There used to be a place in Elijay called the Hitchin Post. They sold draught beer in one gal. plastic containers. Class!

Back in the Dark Ages (the '80s), there was a little independent git 'n' go not far up from the perimeter on Buford Hwy that sold draft beer. I think the gallon jug cost 25 cents and the beer was about $3.00, Bud and something else (like I said: the Dark Ages. Especially for beer in GA). Cheap entertainment!

:cheers:
Mark McCabe

Help out where you can.
MarkEm
Rock Hopper

Postby chet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Louisiana used to have "Brew Thru" we're you would drive up with a gallon jug and they would fill it with draft beer and hand it back to the driver. Not quite politically correct anymore.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever"
chet
Rock Hopper

Postby ShortBus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm

chet wrote:Louisiana used to have "Brew Thru" we're you would drive up with a gallon jug and they would fill it with draft beer and hand it back to the driver. Not quite politically correct anymore.

Just had a flashback for the Frosty Factory...
I do what the cheerios tell me.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa
ShortBus
Rock Hopper

Postby OffCamber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Sorry if I sound stupid but how long will the beer taste fresh in one of those things. I know it's only 4-5 beers and I sure it's geared to speciality beers but I've never seen anything like it (I live in S. FL.) Really, pretty cool. Is there a cost difference? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Ga.
OffCamber
Rock Hopper

Postby u1ockjustice » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 pm

OffCamber wrote:Sorry if I sound stupid but how long will the beer taste fresh in one of those things. I know it's only 4-5 beers and I sure it's geared to speciality beers but I've never seen anything like it (I live in S. FL.) Really, pretty cool. Is there a cost difference? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Ga.

it's recommended to drink the whole thing within a few days of opening it, but assuming it's properly sealed it'll hold carb like any other beer bottle. like you said, it's 64 oz. so most people wouldn't have a problem polishing that off in a couple days.
u1ockjustice
Rock Hopper

Postby OffCamber » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:21 pm

u1ockjustice wrote:
OffCamber wrote:Sorry if I sound stupid but how long will the beer taste fresh in one of those things. I know it's only 4-5 beers and I sure it's geared to speciality beers but I've never seen anything like it (I live in S. FL.) Really, pretty cool. Is there a cost difference? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Ga.

it's recommended to drink the whole thing within a few days of opening it, but assuming it's properly sealed it'll hold carb like any other beer bottle. like you said, it's 64 oz. so most people wouldn't have a problem polishing that off in a couple days.

Nice, I assume they sell the containers at the locations? I gotta get me one :cheers:
OffCamber
Rock Hopper

Postby MarkEm » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:14 pm

OffCamber wrote:Nice, I assume they sell the containers at the locations? I gotta get me one :cheers:

I bet these stores do sell the empty container. Ignoring the convenience factor for a moment, be aware that a plain ol' brown glass growler with screw cap can be had for about 7 bucks at the homebrew store in Alpharetta >> http://www.beernecessities.com/ (they don't show them on the website but they have 'em).

Check out brewing your own while you're there. A rewarding hobby to share with friends!
Mark McCabe

Help out where you can.
MarkEm
Rock Hopper

Postby Bull Mtn Bigfoot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:20 pm

chet wrote:Louisiana used to have "Brew Thru" we're you would drive up with a gallon jug and they would fill it with draft beer and hand it back to the driver. Not quite politically correct anymore.

Back around 1985 when I was in highschool there was a bootlegger on hwy 9 just before Dawsonville he had a drive thru window on his mobile home. Just honk the horn when you hit the driveway and he'll be at the window by the time you drove around the trailer, cases of bud and miller lite and of course mason jars of shine. Them were the good ole days!
Bull Mtn Bigfoot
Rock Hopper

Postby badge882 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:22 pm

OK, I have to ask: Did any other Top Gear (U.K.) fans see this thread and start laughing?

(Sorry, that's the only other place I'd ever heard the term "growler" before clicking the link in this thread to see what y'all were talking about.) :oops:
badge882
Rock Hopper

Postby brianW » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 pm

I have been told that the growlers poured from the tap are good for 3-5 days. Used to get them from many brew pubs in New England. There were some micro-breweries that only sold kegs and growlers. Berkshire Brewery in western MA is one that sticks in my mind. Maybe because it was close to UMass. However, many of these have switched to 12 oz. bottles.
brianW
Rock Hopper

Next

Return to Blabber / Off Topic