Polar HR Monitor Battery Replacement

Discuss frames, wheels, drivetrains, pieces & parts with other gearheads. Or talk helmets, shoes, & shorts with the fashion slaves.

Polar HR Monitor Battery Replacement

Postby PeterU » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:19 pm

The battery in my Polar HR Monitor died and I was going to send the unit in to Polar to have it replaced, but thought the price was pretty outrageous. So I opened up the unit (4 screws), took out the old battery, cleaned the case, got a new battery from a Battery+ store ($4 :D ) and it's as good as new! If you have a Polar - DIY and save $.
Dedicated Athlete MTB Team, sponsored by Addictive Cycles, Braselton, GA

DedicatedAthlete.com
AddictiveCycles.com
PeterU
Rock Hopper

Re: Polar HR Monitor Battery Replacement

Postby MTBXC » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:40 pm

Only problem is that if you do it yourself it voids the warranty.
Director/Manager- Arc Angel Adventures
MTBXC
Rock Hopper

Postby PeterU » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:53 pm

My Polar is long out of warranty, so that wasn't an issue.
Dedicated Athlete MTB Team, sponsored by Addictive Cycles, Braselton, GA

DedicatedAthlete.com
AddictiveCycles.com
PeterU
Rock Hopper

Postby mtbdcd » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:03 pm

One thing to watch for is to make sure that little rubber ring around the outside stays in place when putting the back cover back on. I messed up once and the receiver was not water proof and would get condensation in it. I use a little vasoline to hold it in place.
mtbdcd
Rock Hopper

Postby Mark D. » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:44 pm

PeterU wrote:The battery in my Polar HR Monitor died and I was going to send the unit in to Polar to have it replaced, but thought the price was pretty outrageous. So I opened up the unit (4 screws), took out the old battery, cleaned the case, got a new battery from a Battery+ store ($4 :D ) and it's as good as new! If you have a Polar - DIY and save $.

and it would have taken 2 months to get it back too. :roll:
"talk of politics and global warming makes my head hurt"-Mark D.
Mark D.
Rock Hopper

Postby zerieusa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:40 am

Putting some lube on the seals before closing the unit is a good idea, but Vaseline is a big "No" for rubber o-rings or any type of rubber seals. It contains petroleum based ingredients which degrade (even eat) rubber seals.

This might be an over kill for just changing a battery, but you can get a tube of o-ring lube at your local dive shop, and keep it around for future projects( maybe Home Depot sells it too? I haven't try that). It is also good idea to put it on your rubber seals on your headset, bottom bracket, shock

Thinking further, I believe some of the bike specific greases you can get at you LBS are also compatible with rubber seals...
Andres
ZerieUSA.com (Promo Code SORBA66)
zerieusa
Rock Hopper

Postby bartgecko » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:05 pm

I've replaced the batteries in my wrist unit (AXN 500) and HR Transmitter twice. Contacted Polar and they sent me the o-rings for both at no charge just $8 for S/H; the AXN model has two different o-rings; they even sent me the cover for the Transmitter, w/ o-ring attached. Last time I called them I asked for a wrist strap replacement and they gave me that at no charge as well; didn't even pay S/H last time. So give them a call for some freebies. :D
"Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor" - LT Vince Hardy
bartgecko
Mountain Biker

Return to Equipment