SORBA Chapter Highlights 2012
Here’s a sampling of the great work SORBA’s chapters accomplished this past year.
- Became an IMBA Chapter with over 100 members
- Constructed 15 miles of single track
- Constructed a 90'L X 8'W X 10'T wooden bridge
- Constructed a beginner-level pump track
- Received two RTP grants totaling $137,000 for tools, 10-12 miles of additional flow trails, bathrooms, changing stations, showers, & bike wash stations
- Completed the first mile of trail on Athens-Clarke County land with a beginner loop at East Athens Community Park.
- Began construction on an additional 3-4 miles of intermediate trail Hosted the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew.
- Completed a 2-year long erosion-mitigation project at Hanna Park
- Received a $10,000 grant from REI to purchase an equipment trailer, wood and material for our Tillie Fowler and Nocatee trail systems, and for food and prizes at our work days.
- Completed the Explorer Trail with the addition of a one mile third loop made possible by a $10,000 donation from Free-Flite Bicycles.
- Raised $55,000 for the Fierce Trail with donations from the City of Woodstock and other sponsors solicited by Lisa Randall and Mountain Goat Adventures.
- Raised around 12,000 I think from four races through a partnership with Mountain Goat Adventures.
- Opened VMT 2.0 in May, after hiring Ethan Quehl to revamp the trail’s switchbacks and corners.
- Construction started on new parking lot funded by Cherokee County.
Tallahassee Mountain Bike Association
- Built an inline wallride and dirt jumps at Tom Brown, a city park in Tallahassee, FL.
- Logged over 2600 volunteer hours.
- Completed a reroute of the Sulphur Springs Trail at Paris Mountain State Park.
- Hosted 4 Alley Kat-style urban races.
- Hosted Cranksgiving Weekend, which showcased the all-around rider with a Super-D event and a four-stage Enduro race.
We're looking forward to an even better 2013!