After 20years of leadership, Tom Sauret, the Executive Director of SORBA will be retiring at the end of 2020. Terry Palmeri, the current Associate Director, has been offered the Executive Director position by the SORBA Executive Committee and she has accepted. This leaves an opening for the Associate Director position that needs to be filled. Below is a description, qualifications, responsibilities and how to apply for this position.
This Associate Director will work under the supervision of the SORBA Executive Director.
The position’s accountability is to achieve the strategic and programmatic goals of SORBA and local-level Chapters by cultivating volunteer leadership, increasing financial capacity with fundraising, and bolstering membership growth. Other goals include coordinating regional advocacy and public affairs activities, including marketing, sponsorship, and communications activities, and cultivating public land management agency partnerships.
- Developing, updating, and activating a plan for regional growth in membership, funding resources, and volunteer capacity.
- Facilitating communication between SORBA staff, the SORBA Executive Committee, chapter staff and chapter leaders, state and regional work groups, and other local advocates.
- Actively cultivating, documenting and disseminating best practices in all aspects of sustainable trails advocacy and trails and land conservation.
- Assessing and developing partnerships for trails development, cataloging stakeholders, partners, resources, and opportunities throughout the region.
- Developing, engaging and mobilizing volunteer leadership.
- Cultivating and aligning trail development opportunities with professional trail consulting services.
- Representing and promoting SORBA at relevant public events.
- Identifying, cultivating, and activating grassroots advocacy efforts.
- Creating and distributing a bi-monthly e-news for Chapters, SORBA members and contacts.
- Identifying and pursuing national and regional outdoor industry support for SORBA.
- Developing annual SORBA reports.
- Developing, managing, promoting and budgeting for two regional meetings per year for the SORBA Board of Directors, members and land managers.
- Maintaining an active SORBA website, Facebook and Instagram social media accounts.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Proficiency with business-related software, technology and applications for writing, presentations, communications, social networking, databases and spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated public speaking, presentation and group facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Experience successfully building, or significantly expanding, grassroots initiatives.
- Experience with volunteer leadership development.
- Experience with leading and working in a collaborative team environment with professional staff or volunteers.
- Fundraising and/or relevant business development and sales experience.
- Experience and skill in working with land management agencies, elected officials and other land conservation stakeholders.
- Experience with recruiting and motivating volunteers for grassroots initiatives.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management and organizational skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of bicycle and outdoor recreation industries.
- Ability to represent SORBA chapters in their mission and programs in an authentic and credible manner.
- Ability to meet the requirements of overnight travel, away from home.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve in a collaborative team environment.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
The successful candidate will be passionate about mountain biking, with an energetic, “can-do” personality, who is comfortable working both independently and as part of a team. In addition, SORBA seeks a candidate with experience working successfully with volunteer groups.
An applicant who resides within 100mile radius of Asheville, NC, or is willing to travel to that area frequently is highly desired.
The appointment would begin Jan 2nd, 2021.
Application letters and resumes (only) should be submitted to:
Tom.Sauret@ imba.com. No phone calls, please. All applications must be received by Oct. 30th, 2020.
SORBA is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary & Benefits
- SORBA employee Hawley discount
- Health, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability coverages
- 3 weeks vacation
- 12 days sick time off
- 4 days volunteer time off
- 3 personal holidays
- National holidays
- Starting salary $43k
- IMBA Human Resources Staff to help with benefits